• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More patch woes after installing newest Robohelp update?

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the new Robohelp update this morning hoping for a fix to the TOC filtering defect (and other defects that were not fixed). While the TOC issue seems to be improved, my Style and Formatting tab is now possessed. It flickers constantly like it keeps trying to load an reload the style sheet. Maybe it corrupted the css file? Is anyone else noticing this? Robohelp is basically broken now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this has been reported on and off for a while, without a reliable way to reproduce.

As near as I can tell from my own testing, it may have something to do with multiple (or possibly even just one) stylesheets assigned at different levels (topic, ssl, master page, etc).

However, as I said, I haven't been able to reliably reproduce it (using RH11, myself).

You could try deleting the CPD and see if that clears things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to stop it by pasting a copy of the same css file from another project into the project folder, so I'm thinking it got corrupted somehow. I wish I knew how so that I could avoid it in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had this problem once in a while even before the latest update. I also figured that this might have to do something with the same .css-file on different levels. I usually drag the css-file and several standard files that I use in every project from the "standard project" and other projects where I already used them. This usually also leads to several like css-files (standard.css, standard1.css, standard2.css --> all copies of the same file). I then break the connection of the added files, but at some point, in one or the other topic the format tab starts flickering. I usually can fix this by selecting another css-file for the corrupted topic.

As for deleting the CPD file: I have the setting that this file is deleted automatically on closing the project - reopening the project doesn't fix the problem, so this might not help.

I'm using RH 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the flickering issue is already on the forum. Can't offhand

recall the simple solution. Maybe just trashing the CPD?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, be careful with deleting the CPD-File.

I just discovered that this might cause that all links to shared files will be broken. If so, an error message will be displayed in RH when opening the project where I deleted the cpd-file saying "An error occured, when reading data from <project path>\rhsharedresource.apj> <5>".

After clicking ok, the project can be loaded, however, then all links to the shared files will be gone.

I tested this with a very small project only containing one shared file and the corresponding .css and a shared image. There, this didn't happen. However, one of my really large projects got broken by deleting the .cpd. I just reproduced this behaviour.

If you have a backup of your cpd-file, you can copy this into your project-folder. Then, the shared links will be recreated again. Unfortunately, in my case I didn't realize that my links where broken and why, so I fixed it manually ^^. I just stumbled over this behaviour in another project with the flickering css and got suspicious.

Best regards

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the CPD should never cause a problem as RoboHelp recreates it from other project files.

If you would like to create a folder with the images and then two dummy projects that use them, I will take a look. If I can recreate the problem then I will take it up with Adobe.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind offer. I tried to create a sample project, however, the problem only seems to occur with really large projects using many files from different sources in different levels, so I was out of luck until now. I'll get back to you if I'm able to create a sample project causing the problem.

I can reproduce the described behaviour with several of my projects, however, I can't provide those, as they contain lots of sensitive data.

Indeed, the cpd file is recreated even in case of the error, but, as described, the connection to all the files from the resource manager will be missing.

Thanks again and kind regards

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe what you mean by "using many files from different sources

in different levels"?

How do you create them and does the link look the same after reopening the

project as when you created it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this screenshot can simplify matters:

RH_Screen.png

What I'm doing is to drag files from any of the project-folders to the right (Resource Manager) into my project to the left. Some of the "source" files in the Resource Manager are combined from snippets stored in a general folder, which I also drag into my project. Some files contain links to other files, which are copied into the project automatically with the blue icon with ~.

After dragging the source files into my project, the files are displayed with the green icon with the check mark. When I move them to a different folder, the icon becomes the red x, meaning I have to update the files either in the project or in the source (because some hyperlinks in the background have changed). So far, everything works fine.

However, after deleting the cpd-file, the error message with the error in the rhsharedresource.apj will be displayed. Then, when I open the project again, all files are displayed without any icon at all (i.e., no green check mark, no red x, etc).

If I drag one of these files from the Resource Manager into my project to the same place where it is once again, RH detects that such a file already exists there and asks me, if I want to overwrite it. If I confirm, the green check mark will be displayed again.

I hope my explanation is understandable. If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks for your support!

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

Create a folder called Test. In it create a folder called Resources and

another called Project. In Resources put some files that are in your

Resource Manager. Put a new blank project in Project. Prove the problem

exists there.

That will prove whether the issue is related to trashing the CPD or your

project. If it is related to trashing the CPD, you could desensitise the

content and share that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Further testing showed that this seems to be a problem of my projects, or, more clearly, of some files. I detected one file; if that is used in another project and then the CPD is deleted, the error will occur and all links will be broken. If this file is removed, deleting the CPD doesn't cause any errors. I assume, I have a couple of files that are corrupted somehow. So I'll take more care in the future and always make a backup of my CPD before deleting it

Thanks for your help and best regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp