• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple issues with embedded DHTML Dropdown Text Boxes

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded from RH 10 to RH 2015.  We know one dhtml drop-down text issue existed before the upgrade, and the upgrade did not resolve it.  We have another more serious issue now.  We are not certain it began with the upgrade, but we detected it after having converted our projects to RH 2015 and republishing them.  I'm listing both of them here in case they are connected.

The known issue: The multilevel list styles work at the main topic level and inside the first-level dhtml drop-down text box.  However, if we add a drop-down text box within a drop-down text box and apply a multilevel list style to text within the embedded dhtml drop-down text box, the topic appears fine on the design tab but loses the outline numbers and/or bullets in the preview and in the published version.  Any idea what would cause the list not to display properly or how to get the multilevel list styles to work in this situation?  (Yes, we know we can use list styles instead of multilevel list styles, but that is problematic, too)

list1.png

The new issue is that, when the content is published and viewed in either IE or Chrome (the two main browsers our customers use), the embedded dhtml drop-down text link is still present, but the text within the embedded dhtml drop-down box is gone (i.e., nothing happens when you click the link to open to text box).  It works in the preview, but not when accessed via a browser (whether accessing the webhelp content after publishing it to a server or directly from my local machine).  Any ideas on how to get it to display?  The net result for our users is that a SUBSTANTIAL amount of the help content is now no longer accessible.list2.png

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide with these issues!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Here are a couple of things I'd consider trying.

First, click Tools > Update DHTML and let it do its thing.

tmp1.png

Test to see if anything changed. If so, terrific!

If problems persist, open one of the sample projects. Click here for a video on how to do that

Then open Windows Explorer. Click here for a video on how to do that

Find and copy a file named ehlpdhtm.js and return to your current project and paste that file in so it replaces the one that is there.

Then see if things are any better.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you totally patched up in RH2015? There’s been a couple of patches since the release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I haven't applied any patches yet, the answer to your question is no.  Will look, but if you could point me in the direction of where I need to go/what I need to do to apply the patches, that would be great.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be as simple as going into Help > Updates inside RH, but if that doesn't work, you can always get them from here - Adobe - Support : RoboHelp Support Center : Service Releases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, thanks for the reply.  I processed the updates.  When I went to open a project I have been using in RH 2015 for several weeks now, I received the message, "This project was created in an older version of RoboHelp. To open the project in Adobe RoboHelp 2015, make a backup and upgrade the project."  Should I be receiving this message since it is already a 2015 project? Have you run into this previously when installing "updates" (patches)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be fine. RoboHelp keeps track of the exact version of projects. The update made a minor change in that version number and it senses that the project is from that ever so slightly older version. Just allow it to open and you should be golden.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I chose the option to upgrade the project.  I received the message that the upgrade completed successfully.  I have tried multiple times since then to regenerate the project, and I am receiving this error message:

RH_stopped.png

The first time I tried generating the webhelp, I did nothing differently; I just expected it to work.

The second time, I tried deleting the .cpd file.  I noticed the system recreated it with a 4/22/2016 date (which was last Friday and would have been before the "update/upgrade" today) instead of today's date.

I noticed an .ldb file (which I recognize as a "live data base" file).  Good or bad, I deleted that file, too, in addition to re-deleting the .cpd file, and rebooted.  The system re-created the .cpd file today's date.

Each time, the system still crashed with the same message listed above.

I plan to contact Adobe Support.  Just the same, anyone else run into anything like this and/or have suggestions on how to proceed?  Thanks!

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a couple of things I'd consider trying.

First, click Tools > Update DHTML and let it do its thing.

tmp1.png

Test to see if anything changed. If so, terrific!

If problems persist, open one of the sample projects. Click here for a video on how to do that

Then open Windows Explorer. Click here for a video on how to do that

Find and copy a file named ehlpdhtm.js and return to your current project and paste that file in so it replaces the one that is there.

Then see if things are any better.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Support took a copy of the file that no longer generates properly and will try to resolve.  For anyone still on RH 10 or prior who is thinking about upgrading to RH 2015, Adobe Support said a direct upgrade should work but recommended upgrading RH projects to each release (e.g., from RH 10 to RH 11, and then from RH 11 to RH 2015).  The process can include using a trial version of RH 11 as long as the conversion process is completed before the trial version expires.

I haven't been able to test multi-level lists with embedded drop-down hotspots yet, but the text display problem noted above is not an issue IF the embedded drop-down hotspots are created directly RH 2015.

Rick, I'm trying your suggestion, but it looks as if it will take a while for the process to complete.  I will let you know if it works for us.  Either way, again, thanks!

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I tried your two-step process.  The Tools > Update DHTML process appears to have fixed whatever was preventing the project from generating earlier.  RH no longer crashes during this process.  Thanks!  The text for the embedded dhtml hotspots (presumably those created in RH 10) still did not display in the generated output, even after copying an ehlpdhtml.js file from a sample project and pasting it into the webhelp output folder, replacing the existing one.  Thanks for the recommendation to process the RH updates.  We'll see what Adobe finds out.  Again, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I'm marking this answer as correct with one qualification. As noted, your solution did resolve the text display issue.  Thanks!  It did not resolve the issue with using multi-level lists in embedded DHTML hotspots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm wondering if the following is worth a try.

I work with the DHTML drop-downs by simply editing in the main topic to get things as I want, then selecting and cutting the content and pasting into the drop-down window. I note that you said you formatted the lists by clicking the button and I'm assuming that means you are doing that in the little window.

I'm not sure if or how that may affect things. But thought I'd ask.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Your suggestion was definitely worth a try, but the outline numbers and bullets still did not display in the preview.  For my test, I added a list to the main topic, applied a multi-level list style, copied the text from the design view (including a blank line above and below the list so that I would be copying the whole list code), created a new DHTML hotspot (after having previously applied the patches and run the DHTML tool you suggested above), creates a new DHTML hotspot within that hotspot, and pasted the list into the embedded hotspot.  As above, the list displays correctly in design view but loses the numbers and bullets in the preview.  Again, thanks for your assistance!

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

We are using RH10 and tried the DHTML update with no luck.  We are using snippets which appear in dropdown boxes within numbered lists.  Basically we have complex instructions and the snippets allow us to use one simple instruction line and if our tech needs to know the details, they expand the dropbox.  If I put a DHTML drop box inside a snippet at the second level, all the numbering goes away.  The only way to get things numbered is to put the numbers as text in a paragraph. p>1<p which defeats the purpose of numbered lists.  Also, sometimes our snippets get used inside a second level drop box (not snippet inside snippet) and then the snippet loses its numbering.  Are there any ways to work around this?  We have tried several list styles and some take on the numbering of the styles above (very annoying) while others don't.  We have got that sorted out but now we are just down to missing numbers within drop boxes inside snippets. (nested drop boxes).  They are very handy or could be more handy if the numbering worked properly.

Thanks,

dv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never use p tags for numbered procedure - it's not the right HTML tag. You should use ol for ordered lists, ul for unordered lists, and li for list items. If you have your numbering set up with those tags and the snippets, will it display correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If course p tags are not the right tag, that is the point here, but it is the only way I can get numbers to appear in my nested dropdown boxes.

</p>

<ul>

<ul>

<li class="p-Note"><p class="Note">Note: The note starts here but is missing the image for the note and all the
                                 rest of the numbered lists……
</p></li>

</ul>

</ul>

<?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-Number-1-SnippetSteps"          

style="list-style: rh-list; list-style: rh-list;" ?><p

class="Number-1-SnippetSteps" style="margin-top: 1.5pt;

margin-bottom: 0pt;">And the text for step 1 starts here. Number1 snippet steps is

one of several styles to restart  numbering so that the numbering restarts at 1 rather

than taking on the next number is any list above. </p><?rh-list_end ?>

<ul>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp