• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple mapIDs for the same topic

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our online help uses context sensitive help with MapID numbers and names to retrieve the correct topic. We want to create one topic to be used for multiple screens and be retrieved by multiple mapIDs. Is there a way to do this in RoboHelp 2019 Classic? I use the h file and alias file for assigning mapIDs, but I don't currently do anything outside of the mapID tool in RoboHelp.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a way I know of but I don't get why you want to have multiple IDs in the first place. You always want the same topic so why can't you just use the one ID?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could put the content in a snippet & then create multiple empty topics (with multiple MapIDs) and have the snippet referenced in each of them..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True but I'm still curious as to why. 🙂

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example of where I've done that for one of my projects - I have a topic about creating Sales Items; inside the program I'm documenting, the place to create Sales Items shows up in both POS and Inventory. To avoid confusing the user as to where they are looking at the help topic & where to navigate to next, I've got placeholder topics in both the POS and Inventory folders with the snippet content in each - each has its own MapID, so that the breadcrumbs appear to match what they see in the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest reason is that the screens already exist with unique titles based on their place in the system and unique mapID names and numbers. Our team is trying to streamline the project and these topics don't need unique instructions. We are currently using a snippet with unique topic titles and bread crumbs like Jeff mentioned, but that means there are 144 shell topics in the project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I see the need but the problem means Jeff's solution is the only way as it is one map ID per topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't assign one map id to multiple topics, but you can assign multiple map ids to one topic.

multiple-map-ids-to-one-topic.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amber is correct. My memory was telling me it was the other way around but clearly I need a trip to crucial.com.

My apologies for posting incorrect information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an easy thing to get around the wrong way. To be fair, I need to go in and check the interface every time this question comes up because I know I get confused. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amber! That's great news. Do you know if there's a limit on how many mapIds I can assign to a topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I have no idea. I don't think I've ever read of a limit, but maybe you'll be the first to discover one. 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp