Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiscreen HTML5 TOC Jumps back to top

Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Using Multiscreen HTML5 (RH 11.0.0.179) if you click on a table of contents entry towards the bottom of the list, the ToC jumps back to the top of the ToC, so you have to scroll back down to see the selected topic and other topics around it.

We've modified the skin so the ToC pane is a fixed height and has a vertical scroll bar.

Is there any way to make the ToC stay down the bottom where the selected topic is similar to the Webhelp ToC? Or make make the selected topic display at the top of the ToC pane?

Thanks,

Amber

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. The problem is that the whole page reloads when you're using Multiscreen HTML5. And the TOC doesn't really allow you to jump to a location half way when the page loads.

This issue is fixed in Responsive HTML (RH11.0.3+). So if you can switch to Responsive, your problem would be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Willam.

Now to see if I can organise an upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Responsive (11.0.4.291), and I think I'm having the same issue as you. I've discovered that when we navigate down through the TOC by using the book-toggle buttons (to expand different regions of the TOC), the TOC will keep jumping back up to the last 'highest' topic we were viewing. We then have to scroll back down to where we were navigating, to toggle the next book/chapter open. It's very frustrating. We've discovered that this anomaly doesn't occur if, when expanding the TOC, we click on the book/topic title instead of the toggle icon. All very well for us, in the office, but hopeless for our customers who need to use our online Help mechanisms too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bit different to my problem; we have book and page icons so users seem to naturally click on the text rather than the icon.

I'm not sure if it's innate to the Multiscreen HTML5 output or to the fact that every book is linked to a topic, but clicking on either the book icon or the text loads the topic associated with the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a pic of what I mean, with the icons indicated.

• If a user clicks on the TOC 'arrow' icons to navigate the PracSoft content (for example), and then decides to start crawling through the Clinical content, for every click they make (on an icon), the TOC scrolls back down (or up) to where they were last, in the previous root topic i.e. the TOC expands okay, to display the associated content, but the user is still thrown back to their previous location in the TOC.
  • If a user clicks on the topic text instead, the TOC navigation works fine.
  • This doesn't happen all the time - maybe only 50% of the time.
  • When it happens, it will continue to happen during the user's session. Not sure what makes it eventually stop behaving this way.
  • Note that this only happens in this 'desktop' view i.e. doesn't occur in 'tablet' or 'phone' view.

Is this the same issue you were having?

Menu.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, in my case, if Appointments and the Appointment Book represent the bottom of the browser window, if I scroll past there and click on the book (text) say 6 or 7 topics further on, then the clicked topic loads, but the table of contents jumps back to the top of the contents (so MedicalDirector Contact Information would be visible). Then I have to scroll down the page to get back to the book.

The table of contents scrolls with the topic content, not independently of the topic content.

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's similar to my problem.

My content loads okay in the right-hand panel too. But my TOC jumps back up/down to where I was last, not right back to the top (which is what I think you see). Interesting. If I find the issue/solution, I'll post it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that Multiscreen and Responsive do work very differently, too.

P.S. I was going to post some screenshots to illustrate, but the forums keep telling me the image type is forbidden - I've tried png, gif and bmp. which is extremely weird as you posted an image recently. :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes. Ta.

Re the image, does this help?
Re: Not able to insert an image in this forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ugh. Possible Chrome issue. :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp