• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiscreen/Responsive HTML5 Generation failing in RoboHelp 2019.0.14 New UI

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated a Webhelp project originally created in RBH 2014. I have version 2019.0.14, using the new UI (not classic). In addition to keeping the Webhelp version of this fairly simple Help project updated (TOC, Index, maybe 20 total topics, nothing fancy), I also now need to create output that will work on mobile phones and tablets (Android and IOS). I should preface this by saying I'm not a RBH expert or advanced user...I rarely need to use RBH. For the mobile device outputs, creating apps for the Apple and Google stores is NOT an option, not wanted by our Developers. So I'm assuming I need to use Multiscreen/Responsive HTML5. I'm working my way through Peter Grainge's RoboHelp Tour. But in the meantime...I saw something in there about taking a look at the error log if Generation fails. I looked and the generation stopped either during or before the Index was "processed." It appears to have processed all the topics, but stopped after/on the Index. Is that of any significance? Any other tips to help me get this pesky output created? Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no multiscreen html in New UI, and your webhelp has been automatically converted to a Responsive HTML5 output. Note that if the output was called "Webhelp" in Classic, that will still be its name, but it has definitely been converted. If you look at the icon to the left of the output preset name, it'll show a shield with a 5 in it. That means it's a Responsive HTML5 output now.

There is a setting on the skin which determines whether it behaves like webhelp in RH Classic (does not change layout to fit different sized screens) or is actually responsive (changes layout to fit different screen sizes). I believe this is on by default so you shouldn't have to change anything to get an output that works on desktop, tablet and mobile.

On to the error message. 🙂

Did a popup message display stating generation failed? What was the exact wording or can you get a screenshot of it? Can you remember what the progress popup was showing just before generation failed? Also the last 6-10 lines of the log might provide some clues. (Actually, the messages probably won't help, but one lives in eternal hope.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setting to be non responsive is off by default when you create a new skin or upgrade a responsive skin in a Classic project. It is on by default when you upgrade webhelp that was in a Classic project.

As your project has changed from WebHelp to Responsive, the calls from your software will need to change. As your developers are going to have to make that change, it might be a better option to look at Frameless outputs. That is where future RoboHelp will go so changing now will save having to change again later.

If you don't progress the generation issue, it might be worth creating a new preset, not a duplicate and trying with that.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, my Update 12 has responsive turned on for an upgraded webhelp output. Do you know when it changed as I can't see anything in the issues fixed page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it has changed. What I said was "It is on by default when you upgrade webhelp that was in a Classic project".

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope I'm still lost.

Here's what I have.

Classic project with :

a. Responsive HTML5 using Azure Blue.

b. Webhelp using <traditional no skin>.

c. Webhelp using <Default>.

d. Webhelp using Aquamarine.

Upgrade to 2019 New UI:

a. Responsive using Azure Blue. Azure Blue has Responsive selected

b. Webhelp (all), no Layout selected, but generates fine and the skin appears to be Azure Blue in the output. All work as Responsive outputs.

I'm missing something somewhere, I'm just not sure what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll dig out an old Classic project with some webhelp later and check it. I thought the plan was it would upgrade working as webhelp. I'll post back later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only a quick test on a simple project as I haven't created webhelp for a long time.

On upgrade no skin was selected in the preset, which is not what I expected. I clicked to generate and expected an error saying no skin was selected but it applied what looks like Azure Blue and yes it was responsive.

That's not how I understood it was planned to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit stunned, not sure what I did but I generated "Multiscreen HTML5" again and it worked. Next question: what do I send to the developer? Do I zip the entire folder in "This PC > Documents > My RoboHelp Projects > outputs > [ProjectName] > Multiscreen_HTML5" ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They only need the output which is not multiscreen as both Amber and I have pointed out. That is a format that was only in Classic. What you have generated will be responsive, different thing. 

You agree with the developers how they want the output. A zip file is one option. The might want you to publish the output somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter and Amber: You've said I do NOT have "multiscreen" but literally one of my Output options says "Multiscreen HTML5," so I'm not sure what you mean when you tell me I do not have that option. When I hover the cursor over that option the tooltip does say "Responsive HTML5".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was an option in older versions. You can call an output what you like so you could create a responsive output and call it Printed Documentation, not recommended. Click + to create a new preset and you won't see Multiscreen.

Look in the RoboHelp Tour on my site and search for multiscreen. You had to configure one output for desktop, one for tablets and one for phones. It didn't take off as it was too complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to get RH to bake cakes for me. 😛

Seriously though, the only way you can tell what output is being generated is by the icon next to the output preset name. The shield with a 5 in it means Responsive HTML5.

Amebr_0-1600995414307.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need to PDF and Webhelp output for this project. I just noticed for the PDF options there's a Page Size option. Default is A4. Most users will be on phones and tablets (PDF is a temporary output until the Dev team can get to the responsive html5 output I created yesterday). Should I change the page size to Letter?? I see there's also Custom, but I wouldn't know what to put in there, and the Developers are offshore (Ireland), not available at the moment. Thanks for any advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to stick a PDF on cell phone, it's not going to make any difference what paper size you choose - nobody's going to be printing it from there - they will just be zooming in & out trying to read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no such thing as webhelp in the new UI. Responsive has an option to turn off responsiveness so that it behaves like webhelp but do you want that?

You may have an output called webhelp but the icon will show it is HTML5, responsive unless you turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp