• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My RoBoHelp 2017 project is not displaying correctly in Chrome or IE but is correct in Firefox and Edge when navigated to from a link in our software.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a 'user guide' with RoBoHelp 2017 that uses Azure_Blue layout generated as a Responsive HTML 5.  It looks fabulous when using the index.html from my computer in Chrome, Internet Explored, Edge and Firefox.  When I open the 'user guide' from the link in our software (from the internet) it looks great in Edge and Firefox but I receive the following in IE and Chrome:

My software developer believes it has something to do with the following blank area:

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do a View Source in the RoboHelp Tour​ you will see that line is not there.

That is created with RoboHelp 2017 with Update 2 applied and a new skin selected from the Gallery button after applying the update.

I am not do doing anything to suppress that line and it's not in another output I checked.

Question is what is putting it into your output?

I do see that in source topics so I'm wondering if somehow your source topics are getting the output.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thank you for responding.

I am new to RoBoHelp.

I have taken this project over from a predecessor, unaware of what version was previously used.

I have RoBoHelp 2017 installed on my computer.  I made updates/edits to all child projects and the master project.  Could the issue be from combining them?  I used the Azure_Blue layout and the preexisting style sheet (style format).  In the preexisting material were videos and images, I reused as many of these as possible.

I see no space in your material.

I don't see a space when opening the index file directly from my computer either.

I see the space in Firefox and Edge but they still display correctly.

Suggestions?  Should I download or update?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Colleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are missing an important point. You say you don't see space in my topics, the point is you don't see that line at all.

In RoboHelp you have source topics and you generate outputs, the two have different HTML code in them. What you are showing me looks like a source topic but you are saying it is output. That makes me think somehow the two have got mixed.

Have you maybe given your developer source topics from your project rather than the output you generated?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When in my master project, I select Generate below:

Is this correct?

Then I make sure that Azure_Blue is selected.  To generate the index.html file, I then select the SAVE and GENERATE below:

Did I miss an important step?  Was this the wrong POD to generate from?

I greatly appreciate your time and responses.

Colleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should generate to the same drive as the project. Is that the case

here? Is it a network drive. Try having it all local.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Again, thank you for responding.

I generated everything to a folder where the original project (that my predecessor started) was stored.  After generating each child project to the Merged Project folder, I would view the result and the source and see:

- no space or weird line.

I generated the Master Project containing all the child project content and viewed the result and source.  No weird line or space.  Opens, images work, videos play, links work, search works, etc.

Out of curiosity I checked the HTML while still in RoboHelp of my Master project.  I noticed the weird line.

Is this where my issue lies?

If this is the issue, do you have suggestions how to remove it?  Is this something I can just 'turn off'?  Or is the Welcome corrupt somewhere?

Also, in a previous reply, "Have you maybe given your developer source topics from your project rather than the output you generated?", How do I check this? He has visibility of everything in the folder where the index is.

Regards,

Colleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the source HTML in the RH project; not the same as the output HTML you generate & send out into the word. Have you looked at Peter's site about merged help? See Merged WebHelp and HTML5 Help for the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your developer is seeing the line above DOCTYPE, they are looking at

source files. There is no index.htm in source, or shouldn't be. There is

nothing to switch off, it's about finding out if things have got mixed up.

Show your developer this thread. I think they will be able to follow.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I received this back from my developer:

"Hi Colleen,

I pushed the contents of that folder up to qasupport, and am
still getting the error.

Using an xml validator on the root\index.htm , it reports
about errors about mismatched tags and that the declaration is only allowed at
the beginning of the file.

The space ahead of the xml declaration is still there, which
points back to the tool doing something weird."

Does this help at all?

Thanks,

Colleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No because all it confirms is the developer is looking at source files.

Forget your merged setup and work with your developer on a simple one or

two topic project so they get files starting DOCTYPE. You will find them in

the \!SSL!\ folder after generating. When you have figured that out between

you, you should be able to understand what we are getting at.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you now resolved this?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for responding.

Just to clarify, looking through the link you included:

I should remove all the content from my Master project - just have the links in the Merge Projects pod

add that content to my first Child project,

then tell that content to be re-directed.

I have to watch a few tutorials to make learn how to make that happen.

Regards,

Colleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Colleen, I have hardly any clue about how merged projects operate - that's why I suggested you check out Peter's site. If I was starting out, I would grab his sample project and use that to follow along before turning to a real project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When generating the output I deselected under Optimization > Use Adobe Captivate HTML5 output, that corrected the XML issue in Chrome.

Firefox and Edge still worked, but not IE.

Further investigation by one of our developers determined IE
not rendering the site. This was fixed by updating a function in the
(our company) application that was only allowing PDF file types to be handled correctly,
which was interfering with the rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp