New technical writer looking for a good beginner's RoboHelp class

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I'm new to technical writing but will be taking over the primary help text authoring duties at my workplace in a couple of months. We use RoboHelp, and I've been learning a bit of it on my own, but I learned yesterday that there may be some training dollars available for me to take an actual RoboHelp class. I'm interested in learning everything I can but with the intent to publish a lot of content in the Responsive HTML5 output. I have no background with HTML, CSS, etc.

I found a few courses through searching the web, but I am a bit in the dark about which one would be the best. Given my goals and level of experience, does anyone have a recommendation? Either from the list I have below, or another course that you know of? (I already posted this on the Adobe RoboHelp forums, but wanted to see what technicalwriting had to say as well.)

Thanks for your time! If you need more information please don't hesitate to ask. Mods, if it's not ok for me to include links to the classes, please let me know that as well.

Organization Location Price Type of Class Link
LedetOnline$1,4993 day beginner coursehttps://www.ledet.com/events/35382-Adobe-RoboHelp-Training-Class-at-Washington-DC-on-May-21-2018
IconlogicOnline$695 if you sign up more than a week prior to start date. Otherwise $7952 day beginner coursehttp://www.iconlogic.com/instructor-led-training/by-vendor/adobe/adobe-robohelp-training/adobe-roboh...
AccelebrateOnline$1,1853 day beginner coursehttps://www.accelebrate.com/online-training?action=course&page=RBH2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forums.

I can't help with classes, but they *probably* won't cover css or html. The css can be particularly useful as sometimes it's just easier to get styles to do what you want manually. W3schools has a tutorial you can run through in your own time. The Try It Out feature is really helpful to see the concepts in action.

https://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you posted in the RoboHelp forum and now you are posting in "technicalwriting". This is the RoboHelp forum and I can't find any other post. Not sure where you posted before.

I only know the Iconlogic name. Kevin Siegel has worked with RoboHelp for many years and if you look at his instructors' names, many are widely known in the industry. His course will give you a structured tour of how to work with RoboHelp.

As you are new to this world, go with the New UI version of RoboHelp as that is where Adobe will be focussing development. The old Classic version will no longer be updated. Also whilst the old stagers like myself had a big learning curve, I now have to pause and think when I have to drift back to Classic to help folks.

There's a lot to learn about HTML and CSS but don't let that put you off. You don't need to learn as much as the three star Michelin chefs know about cooking to prepare beans on toast, haricot beans in a tomato sauce served on a bed of crisped bread as I once saw that dish described. You can learn as you go to the level you need. That's not to say don't aspire to learn more, rather just keep things in perspective. Amber is absolutely right to point you to w3schools. When stuck, come here.

In terms of learning RoboHelp, my site is not structured as a course but it does contain a lot of how to stuff on most of the things you are likely to encounter. Also see the RoboHelp Tour from my site where each feature is described in enough detail to get you started. Look in the 2019/2020 sections.

As a moderator I can confirm it is OK to include relevant links provided it is not for personal gain. Your links are fine.

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
RoboFan LATEST
Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll echo Peter's comments regarding IconLogic, as well as Amebr's on the W3Schools site. With that in mind, I believe the following would provide a good start/foundation:

IconLogic: $695

STC Gold** membership: $276 for remainder of 2020 (renewal for 2021 is $399, if rates are same as this year)

HTML5 and CSS3 for Dummies: $25

Adobe's RoboHelp Support Forum

www.w3schools.com

www.grainge.org

www.showmethedemo.com

**I would skip the New Professional/Professional level membership. I was a Professional level member for a number of years, and never really thought the Gold level added much value. However, STC added a bunch of additional programming with the Gold level this year so I upgraded. I'm glad I did; I now believe the additional value is well worth the increased cost. You probably won't find much RoboHelp-specific content there, but it'll provide a ton of resources relevant to the profession. 

My two cents.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines