Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Topic Added to TOC Missing in IE 11 - Using RoboHelp 10

Explorer ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I noticed a different discussion thread where a RoboHelp user reported an issue where no topics were displaying in the TOC pane on the left in IE 11. The user saw the TOC in Firefox and Chrome. I am having a similar issue, except I cannot see a new topic added to the TOC in IE 11 after I generated it in RoboHelp HTML 10. The topic displays in the TOC pane as expected in Firefox and Chrome. I believe the user's issue was fixed by upgrading to RoboHelp 11. We do not have the budget to do this. I was wondering if the issue I'm reporting is the same issue as the other one reported in this forum. If it is linked to the other issue, is upgrading to RoboHelp 11 the only solution?

Thank you,

Sandy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you applied all the patches for browser issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening at work and I have reported the issue to our Intranet team. I also included Application Support on that email. Based on the history, our teams are on top of applying browser patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the RH patches & hotfixes issued – see Willam’s site – wvanweelden.eu for details

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issue is that you actually SEE the TOC but new information isn't being presented, it likely isn't a RoboHelp issue but one of browser caching. Try clearing the temporary internet files and you should be set. If you try that and STILL don't see what you are expecting, I suspect you are looking at files in a different location.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the issue is that I see the TOC pane but I do not see the new topic I added. Here is a little more information for you and thank you all for all you input/help. I have done nothing differently that what I normally do when I generate the WebHelp file, save the output files to a network share, test it, and when it works, I change the file name to the file name our virtual directory points to. I can see updates I made to existing pages, just not this one new topic in the TOC pane in IE 11 only. If I search the index, the file is there. I cleared my Temporary Internet files several times, shut down my PC, and booted up again. I even deleted the old generated files and created new files, went through the same steps, and the issue repeats in IE 11 only. If it was pointing to the wrong location, wouldn't I not be able to see the file in Chrome and Firefox? I can see the new file in those browsers, just not IE. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a situation I've not seen before. As all browsers are different, it's common to see odd behavior in one but not others. I'm skeptical that any patch would resolve it because to the best of my knowledge, the TOC panel would be just empty. So this is obviously a new one.

One thought I had was that perhaps you had multiple TOCs and maybe you had the wrong one selected. But if that were the case, you wouldn't see the changes in FF or Chrome.

Seems very odd to me that if you have cleared the IE browser cache, the changes wouldn't show.

This one is likely going to need more help from someone such as Willam or maybe even one of the Adobe folks that pops in from time to time.

Sooo, here's a random thought. Out of curiosity, what happens if you right-click a blank area of the TOC frame and choose "Refresh"? Does the new content show then?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Rick – this seems weird.

@x0y - can the project be shared? If so, you can contact me (via PM) to upload the RH project and I can have a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff: The project contains confidential information so, I would not be able to share it. Thank you for offering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick: I just right-clicked a blank area in the TOC frame and then clicked Refresh. The new content does not show in IE 11. Another member of the team mentioned that perhaps if I generated the TOC from scratch instead of using pre-existing files, maybe I would see a completely blank TOC pane like the person in the other discussion thread. Meanwhile, I am submitting a ticket to our Help Desk to verify that RoboHelp 10 application is updated with all the latest hotfixes, patches, etc. I may not get an answer until early next week about that. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it would be a simple thing to test. Just create a new blank project with perhaps three topics. Add them to the TOC. Generate and test and you will have your answer in less than five minutes!

Certainly a stumper...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but one more question here. I may have missed it.

When you are testing, are you opening in IE from your hard drive immediately after generating? Or are you opening from a server location? If from a server location, what happens if you open from your hard drive?

Sorry to continue thrashing the deceased equine here...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick: I appreciate the suggestions! I'm no RoboHelp guru! Not sure if I understand your question, but, when I open the generated files in IE 11 from my hard drive, I CAN see the new file in the TOC. When I copied the generated files to the server location and test it from there, I CAN see the new file in the TOC in IE 11. When I click the Help button from our Intranet page to view the help, which points the server location where I can see the new file in the TOC, I CANNOT see the new file in the TOC in IE 11 (but I CAN see the new file in the TOC in Firefox and Chrome everywhere). If that did not answer your question, please let me know.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional information.

So the issue only manifests when you view the help after clicking the link from the intranet page. My gut says that in the end you will ultimately discover some odd caching issue with IE. Aside from clearing the cache, I'm at a loss what to suggest, other than to have your web IT folks look at it.

Please do come back and update the thread once you get it sorted so we know what the problem was.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, All:

The problem is resolved, but I have no idea why or how it is fixed. I generated a different, existing RoboHelp 10 file, with two new topics, and saved the output files to the same network share location as before. When I tested it on my local drive and on my network drive, I could see the two new topics in the TOC pane. Then I changed the file names and viewed it via the Help button inside the application in IE 11 . I could see the new topics in the TOC pane there...remember...I was not able to see the two new topics in the TOC from the Help button for the original file set. So that worked. Here is the weird part: when I deleted the new set of files I just tested from the network share and saved the file folder with the issue to the name I need to name it for the virtual directory to see it, when I tested it by clicking the Help button in the app in IE 11, I could now see the new topic in the TOC pane! Just to make sure I wasn't crazy. I went to another tester and asked her to test it. She received the same result. Now we can all see it. Any ideas what could have happened that would have corrected the problem? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some form of forced update of the cache?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick: I think I am going to set aside time this afternoon and try what you suggested. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am working on Robohelp 9,  i have updated TOC, and generated WEbhelp for the same.

When i open SSL folder in the  Project folder, Index file(.htm -  through which we actually view the output) is not getting updated with the updated TOC of the project. however, if i generate the webhelp at different location, TOC is getting updated but it don't get updated in SSL folder.

Is there any way to update the SSL folder - Index.htm with modified TOC ?

Thanks,

Nutan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check very carefully that the problem output is the one that is not showing the added topic. Often in such cases it turns out to be that the poster was mistakenly opening a different output.

After you have generated an output the final dialog has a View button. If you view using that does the topic appear? Also if you right click the layout and select View does the topic appear? Try the View With option and open with more than one browser.

Post back how you get on.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may be unrelated, but I had the same/similar issue once in RH11. The new topic showed up in the TOC, but would not display when selected. The resolution turned out to be simple. I had inadvertently included a dash "-" in the topic html file name. Once I removed the character from the html file name (via topic properties) and regenerated, the topic worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp