Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered List

Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a stylesheet and specified the style for both numbered and non-numbered lists. The list works fine when applied to the body. 

1. xyz

2.abc

If I click Backspace when the cursor is at the position 'a' in the 'abc', the 'abc' gets appended to number 1. 

Whereas actually, shouldn't it remove the numbering and retain the text in the same position itself?

Can anyone please help me with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Yes I know it is not a true paragraph but knowing your full requirement means Plan B might be your better option.

The image below shows what you can do with a multi-level list (2019/2020) or an autonumbered list (2020)

image.png

Each of those levels can be independently formatted to your heart's content.

With a multilevel list, you have to follow the hierarchy of the levels. You cannot jump from Level 1 you Level 3, there must be a Level 2 item in between.

With autonumbering in 2020 you can hav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

See If you want the style to look like the image below and appear the same way in Word, some additional steps are needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you use the default styles and which version of RoboHelp are you using. Please always start threads with that as the answer can vary according to version.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I apologize for my mistake of not specifying the version. I use RH 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked my version (RH 2020.4) and sure enough it does behave as you described. I then checked Word and Google Docs and they behave as you would like to see.

I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with the way RH is handling it, it's just different. The RH method is actually probably cleaner and more appropriate from a source (HTML) level. 

What you start out with is something like this:

<ol class="Decimal">
    <li>xyz</li>
    <li>abc</li>
  </ol>​

When you backspace at the 'a' position in RH, you get this:

<ol class="Decimal">
    <li>xyzabc</li>
  </ol>

When you backspace at the 'a' position in those other apps, you effectively get this:

<ol class="Decimal">
    <li>xyz<br />
      abc</li>
  </ol>

I'm not sure that there is much that you can from the authoring view. You could enter an issue at tracker.adobe.com, but given that it's not a clear bug, I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. In that case, how do we add a paragraph space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using only the authoring editor, I don't see how you could. It would have to be done in the source editor, like so:

<ol class="Decimal">
    <li>xyz<p>
      </p>abc</li>
  </ol>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. 😉

But like I have shown further down: https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/numbered-list/m-p/12042675#M138269

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am a tech writer not a software developer. Putting code in her is just confusing. Try menu items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the cursor in the second item, go to the list icons in the toolbar. All of them have a None icon on the right.

Select that and the second item will become a normal paragraph.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for the solution. I tried it but this is not my requirement. 

I tried your solution and this is the result:

s.png

But, I want the cursor aligned below the text:

s1.png

Can you please tell me how to achieve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Difficult to understand what the problem is. Do you mean you want a second line in that list item? Is Shift-Return what you are looking for?

Or do you want to have a list item two contain two individual paragraphs?

Stefan-Gentz_0-1621267394071.png

If so, you would just need to add two paragraphs in a list item. Like this:

<ul class="Disc">
  <li>First list item.</li>
  <li>
    <p>Second list item, Paragraph 1.</p>
    <p>Second list item, Paragraph 2.</p>
  </li>
  <li>Third list item</li>
</ul>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press Shift Enter at the end of the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to be able to add paragraphs within a list without resorting to code. I've wanted it since the product was part of eHelp, and gave up asking for it in about 2005. 🙂

You can request features and report issues here: https://tracker.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Divya V @Amebr 

image.png

Is Second Paragraph above what you are wanting? If so pressing Shift Enter at the end of a numbered paragraph gives you just that as both Stefan and I have pointed out and without going into the code. If your list items have more space below than this one, you may have press Shift Enter twice.

If this is not what you are wanting, then please clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, Shift + Enter adds <br /> not a <p> in RH2019. So while in most circumstances it might look like a paragraph, it isn't really and won't work if you need to, say, apply a note style to that paragraph. So far the only way I've found to add an actual paragraph is to manually go into the code.

I just had a quick test in RH2020 and it looks like  that does enter a P, but it enters only a single one, with <br>s inside that. So it still doesn't allow you correctly apply a style just to that second paragraph (as the p tag is around all of the content within the li, not just around that second paragraph.)

Something like this (switching between computers, sorry):

<li>
  <p>Step text<br />
  <br />
  Second paragraph<br />
  <br />
  </p>
</li>

Whereas we want something like:

<li>
  <p>Step text<p>
  <p>Second paragraph</p>
</li>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know it is not a true paragraph but knowing your full requirement means Plan B might be your better option.

The image below shows what you can do with a multi-level list (2019/2020) or an autonumbered list (2020)

image.png

Each of those levels can be independently formatted to your heart's content.

With a multilevel list, you have to follow the hierarchy of the levels. You cannot jump from Level 1 you Level 3, there must be a Level 2 item in between.

With autonumbering in 2020 you can have any level followed by any other level. That is a key and importand difference.

Again each level is formatted as you wish. At the end of say level one, you press Enter and then press Tab once for Level 2, at the end of Level 2 you press Enter and Tab to go to Level 3. To go straight from say Level 1 to 3 and above, you just press the Tab key as many time as you need.

Using the AutoNumbered list above, I could have Level 6 immediately below Level 1 by pressing the Tab key five times. Note the text aligns and it could be italic red or as crazy as you want it. I haven't tried it but it looks like you can define a border around the paragraph.

You have all the list options that are in multilevel lists and what I have set up above can be in any order you want.

I have been setting this up for someone and they are delighted with how it works. I will be adding a demo to my site soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for the solution. It works beautifully. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since found out a bit more about autonumbered lists. Only you can say if those things matter to you.

• Autonumbering is intended mainly for numbering Images, Headings and paragraphs throughout a document. For example in legal documents.
  • In a PDF output the numbering will be continuous throughout the document unless you set every topic to restart at 1.
  • In a Word output, indentation may be completely wrong.
  • Accessibility requirements will not be met. Screen readers advise the user that a list has been reached when they get to content formatted as a true list. When they reach content formatted with autonumbering, they will announce a paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, 

The solution works fine for short texs. For bigger texts, this is how it is displayed:

peter.png

But this is not the way I want the list to be displayed:

peter2.png

The 2nd line in the first point should align below the text and not the number. 

Is this possible with any settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See If you want the style to look like the image below and appear the same way in Word, some additional ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for all the solution. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp