• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbering Issues in RH 2019

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, this is my last question for the day.

I'm importing a Word document into RoboHelp 2019 and seeing some odd numbering issues.

In my project I have set up Heading 2s for topics, Heading 4s for procedures, which should initiate autonumbering that starts at 1).

In the attached graphic, somehow the numbering is showing up adjacent to the Heading 2. Additionally, restart numbering at 1 does not occure after the second Heading 4, which is the expected behavior.

All of this looks good in my Word doc, so I figure something weird is happening with the import. Right?

Autonumbering In RH.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like there is something wrong with the numbering system. But difficult to "debug" without seeing the source code of the topic and maybe analyze the CSS as well.

Can you post the source code of the sample screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I right-clicked on the page and selected "view source". Is this what you need? Sorry if this is too much.

[removed long code block by moderator as it was not the right code]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, no, this is not what I meant 🙂

Just the code of the part of the content from your screenshot from the topic itself, not from the framework of the published output

Click on the </> button at the top right in the open topic in RoboHelp:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Here you go!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

<title>Login/Logout</title>

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 2019" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/default.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="assets/css/LoggingServicesUserGuide.css" />

</head>

<body>

<div>

<ol class="List0" data-start="1" xmlns="">

<li>

<h2>

<a id="_Toc7530513" style=" text-decoration: none;"></a><span style=" color: #2E74B5; font-family: Roboto Medium; font-size: 13pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Login/Logout</span></h2>

<p style=" margin-bottom: 0;"><span style=" font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">You can login/logout to the Marketplace place to access the website and to subscribe and deploy a service.</span></p>

<h4><span style=" color: #2E74B5; font-family: Roboto; font-size: 11pt; font-style: italic; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">To login to Marketplace</span></h4>

</li>

<li><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">In the address bar of your browser, enter the Marketplace URL. </span></li>

<li><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">In the </span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Username</span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;"> and </span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Password</span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;"> fields, enter your user name and password. </span></li>

<li><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Click </span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Login</span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">. </span></li>

<li><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Select the </span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Remember</span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;"> </span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Me</span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;"> check box if you want your login credentials saved in the site. </span>

<h4><span style=" color: #2E74B5; font-family: Roboto; font-size: 11pt; font-style: italic; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">To logout of the Marketplace</span></h4>

</li>

<li><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">On the top-right corner of the screen, click the arrow corresponding to your name to access the drop-down menu. </span>

<p style=" margin-bottom: 0;">My Dashboard and Logout options are displayed.</p>

</li>

<li><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Click </span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; margin: 0; padding: 0;">Logout</span><span style=" font-family: Roboto; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; margin: 0; padding: 0;">.</span></li>

</ol>

</div>

</body>

</html>

[Edited for better readability by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, makes sense. The elements and content are a little bit mixed up. And it gets complicated to debug with all the local formatting overrides.

First, let's remove all the manual local formatting overrides to make cleaner and straight forward (reduced to the "body" part of the code here for simplicity only):

<body>

<div>

<ol class="List0" data-start="1" xmlns="">

<li>

<h2>Login/Logout</h2>

<p>You can login/logout to the Marketplace place to access the website and to subscribe and deploy a service.</p>

<h4>To login to Marketplace</h4>

</li>

<li>In the address bar of your browser, enter the Marketplace URL.</li>

<li>In the <strong>Username</strong> and <strong>Password</strong> fields, enter your user name and password.</li>

<li>Click <strong>Login</strong>.</li>

<li>Select the <strong>Remember Me</strong> check box if you want your login credentials saved in the site.

<h4>To logout of the Marketplace</h4>

</li>

<li>

<p>On the top-right corner of the screen, click the arrow corresponding to your name to access the drop-down menu.</p>

<p>My Dashboard and Logout options are displayed.</p>

</li>

<li>Click <strong>Logout</strong>.</li>

</ol>

</div>

</body>

Now the problem becomes more obvious: First, the whole content including the headings and list items are just one big list (<ol>). Heading 2 ("Login/Logout") is inside the first list item, starting with 1. Followed by a paragraph and Heading 4 ("To login to Marketplace"). All this is in the first list item.

Then the content follows that shall be a list in its own ("In the address bar" until "in the site."). Then an h4 follows again (inside the <ol> list, but not inside a list item). THen another list items and so on.

Now let's fix that: First, let's remove the "big list" surrounding everything. Then let's wrap the "real" list items into separate ordered lists (<ol>).

Result (reduced to the "body" part of the code here for simplicity only):

<body>

<div>

<h2>Login/Logout</h2>

<p>You can login/logout to the Marketplace place to access the website and to subscribe and deploy a service.</p>

<h4>To login to Marketplace</h4>

<ol>

<li>In the address bar of your browser, enter the Marketplace URL.</li>

<li>In the <strong>Username</strong> and <strong>Password</strong> fields, enter your user name and password.</li>

<li>Click <strong>Login</strong>.</li>

<li>Select the <strong>Remember Me</strong> check box if you want your login credentials saved in the site.</li>

</ol>

<h4>To logout of the Marketplace</h4>

<ol>

<li>

<p>On the top-right corner of the screen, click the arrow corresponding to your name to access the drop-down menu.</p>

<p>My Dashboard and Logout options are displayed.</p>

</li>

<li>Click <strong>Logout</strong>.</li>

</ol>

</div>

</body>

Will look like this (default CSS):

Now go the CSS and change the formatting for Heading 2 and 4 as per your needs (blue, Roboto Font etc.)

(P.S. On a heading 2 a heading 3 should follow, not a heading 4. Also: Is "Login/Logout" intended to be the topic title (highest level in the topic?)? If so, it should be h1, not h2 and the procedure heading should then be h2).

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Stefan. I applied the code and it looks just like your screen shot.

So I was able to do this for that one topic. How does this get applied to ALL the topics that have the same numbering issues?

I need to use this same numbering style for EVERY Word project I import into RoboHelp. Is this possible? I can't imagine having to go into every page to apply that code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had much experience importing Word docs into RH2019, but for previous versions my workflow has always to been clean up the Word document as much as possible before importing. I wrote VBA scripts to automate this as much as possible.

• Make sure that the correct styles are used. I try to stick to the default Heading 1 - 6 and Normal as much as possible. I have mapped other corporate styles in the import process, in case I miss converting them, but because of the way they are set up I don't find they map very well.
  • Make sure there is no inline formatting. For example, my reviewers frequently manage to style headings to look like normal text, or normal text to look like headings. Or to make a heading 1 look like a heading 3.
  • Fix all procedure numbering. I haven't found a good way to automate this, so I often go through and remove and reapply the numbering manually. I also never use styles, or multi-level numbering as I find that creates problems when imported. I only ever user the Bullets and Numbering icons to apply the numbering.

Finally, in RH11 I ran scripts to remove a bunch of junk that was included despite my best efforts. I'm hoping the import in RH2019 does a better job, because there is no scripting language to automate this cleanup. :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some general import information about importing to respond to Amber.

1. Mapping is much improved. First of all the only styles presented for mapping are those in use in the document.
    If anyone has tried to import an old document that has been edited by numerous users, they will know how the number of styles in use can be a fraction of the styles available in the document. Just change any document so that everything is Normal and see how many styles are still available. If a style was used once ten years ago it remains in the document in Word. In RoboHelp mapping, as I said, you will now only see what is in use.
  2. In 2019 you have to tick a check box to import inline styles so you won't need to strip them out.
  3. I haven't tested lists exhaustively but what I have tested has worked in the later versions so make sure all updates are applied.
  4. If you don't map a style, one of the options is to import from Word. That works better as the styles are put into a second css applied to the topic(s) created. You can then leave that topic with two css files applied or move those styles to your regular css. 2019 allows more than one css to be applied.
  5. There is a wrinkle at the moment that if a Word style other than lists has numbering applied, such as Heading 1, then it does not show for mapping. I believe that is being fixed in the next update.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp