• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd Pages Only?

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RoboHelp 8 and Word 2007, whenever generate a Word file, the prints every page in the project, but it numbers the pages in Word as odd: 1, 3, 5... Now, when I export to PDF, it shows all pages---1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...--but all the evern pages are blank. What could be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this in the released version or a pre--release build? If it is the latter, you should not be asking the question here as this is for released versions only. If it is the released version, post back and I will look later. Meantime see if you get the problem with one of the sample projects.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell it's a released version: 8.0.0.203. (By the way, bookmarking your page. Looks like a good resource.) Downloaded a couple of days ago from Adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2009 Jan 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's deal with the Word issue first. Hate to ask this but you didn't flick through and not notice the even numbers are on the left?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I'd send you a screenshot if I could. Here's what's happening:

When I export from RoboHelp, the Doc is created. Scrolling down through the doc, It's all continuously used pages: no blanks; the first page has something in it, so does the second, and the third, etc. However, the numbering has the pages as 1, 3, 5, 7 (or even i, iii, v, if I'm at that part of the document). When go ahead and PDF the document, all the pages show up, odds and evens, but all the even ones are blank.

My question is how to get the text into all pages, odd and even, from RoboHelp. This issue is easy to handle when the document is short, just a couple of pages, really, but when I have a 300 page document on my hands I don't want to be extracting 1/2 the pages because they're blank, then having to renumber so that it's not all odd numbers.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project with enough fresh content (garbage) to generate a document that should have this problem. Does it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install Word 2007 after installing RH 8? It needs to be installed before installing RH 8.

Are you working the project from a server? The project needs to be on the same local machine where RH 8 is installed.

Are you selecting (None)... in the "Apply CSS to all Topics" field of the last Printed Doc wizard page? Try selecting RHStyleMapping.css and see if you get different results.

Are you instead selecting Use Styles from > Microsoft Word Template? If so, you'll probably need to rework that template.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Did you install Word 2007 after installing RH 8? " - No. Word 2007 was installed before RH8. Previously, I had RH6 installed on this machine.

" Are you working the project from a server? " - No

" Are you selecting (None)... in the "Apply CSS to all Topics" field of the last Printed Doc wizard page?" Yes. Tried RHStyleMapping.css but all it does is change my style edits. Page numbering remains the same.

"Are you instead selecting Use Styles from > Microsoft Word Template?" - No.

Might have to end up calling tech support over this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say whether you had tried a new project and what the result was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. I'd missed that.

I went ahead and tried it with another one of my projects. The only difference between this new project (project 2) and the first project (project 1) is that I'm not using conditionals in this project.

Project 2 printed fine: pages 1 through 7, odds and evens.

Project 1 had problems with both the "Printed Documentation" basic settings and the "Printed documentation" with conditional settings.

So it looks like there's something in this project. I wonder what it could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new print layout and not a duplicate.

See if that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the layouts have been new, none have been duplicated. That said, I created another, called "Test". Kept it simple (no conditionals). Still get the issue.

Could it be that somehow this project was corrupted? How would something like that happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a backup of the project and then delete the CPD file. Reopen the project and try again.

If the problem persists, let me know the size of the project zipped up. Don't send yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this topic is almost 2 mos old, but, there does not appear to be a resolution. So here is my 2 cents' worth anyway....

I have RH7 and Word2003, and I see that the OP has later versions. But I'll hope that the later versions have the same options, just please look around for them in your version! ;)

In RoboHelp, view the Properties for the Print layout in question, and look under Settings for an option "Start each topic on a new page". Decide if you want that option checked or not.

Do you have an Advanced button in the Settings area? Click that, then look for the option "Start new chapters on odd pages". This could be the source of what you are seeing, so turn that off.

Generate the output as a Word .doc file. Don't go directly to PDF!

When RH creates the .doc file, it separates each topic not with a page break, but with a section break. And it may have set up each section to start on an odd page. So, open the .doc file in Word and review the properties for each section in the .doc file and change if needed. Use Print Preview to see the results.

Finally, when Print Preview shows the document and the page numbering the way you want it to, generate the PDF from your .doc file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although the answer is from 2009 ! this was the answer to a problem I was having.

Thanks,

MDawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp