Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Output *.html files with RH10?

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

Just started making Multiscreen HTML5 help with RoboHelp 10 for display on our website. After the site went live, my web guy came over and asked if I could possible deliver files with the *.html extension instead of *.htm. Beyond consistency, I think he said something about an Apache web server setting.

We both thought this might be a simple project or layout/profile setting, but I haven't turned anything up. Is there a way to do this?

FWIW, it's unlikely that we'll ever use CHMs again (presumably the source of the default *.htm output).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page contains an interesting summary of htm vs html (nothing to do with chm).

What is the difference between the HTM and HTML extensions?

I think that the main issue for your developer might be the server default filename (see bottom of above page), in which case changing the filename and extension in 'Output folder and Start page' in your single source layout to match the server default filename should resolve the issue.

I've personally never had a server reject one or the other file extensions, and I'd think it would be unnecessarily limiting for a company to ban one outright. However, it's possible a business might decide this was the right thing to do. If this is your situation, I hope someone knows an easy answer for you.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. Yes, it is the server default filename that's currently configured for "index.html". He said he could add index.htm, but then he'd have to reboot the server. He thought it might be easier to fix on my end.

I will test the 'Output folder and Start page' solution, which sounds like it would work. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Should your IT person come back saying that "All the files need to be HTML", you will have to simply tell them that this is presently not possible to achieve in RoboHelp.

And you might also consider submitting a Wish Form to alert Adobe to the need for an option to say "Produce HTML FileNames".

Click here to view the Wish Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp