• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Output PDF with no MS Word installed ?

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ! It seems that MS Word is required to be able to produce PDF with the 'Printed Documentation' function... How should I overcome this, as I have no intention to purchase it just to properly use RH ...  

Thanks !

Pierre-Henri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no alternative to having Word installed if you want to use the Printed Documentation output. RoboHelp creates a Word document first, then the PDF. If you choose PDF only, the Word document is still produced to enable the PDF generation but it is hidden and then deleted.

There are tools that enable you to generate a PDF from an HTML file without going via Word. However, they would be one PDF per HTML file so you would then have to combine them. Add in the formatting would likely be rubbish and there would be no TOC or Index and you will see it would be a pretty rubbish option.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter - thanks for your reply !

Very honestly I find this dependency to an external commercial software (quite expensive, on top of it all) a bit unsettling.

Just my feelings... I'll see how I consider things at the end of my trial period.

Best regards,

Pierre-Henri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Perhaps it will help to know the following:

• While Adobe owns the PDF format, it has only owned RoboHelp for about Seven years or so.
  • RoboHelp began its life as a Microsoft Word Add-In
  • RoboHelp is primarily a tool for creating on-line documentation. PDF creation is secondary. If your only desired output is PDF, RoboHelp is definitely not your tool of choice!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp