Highlighted

Output to pdf errors results in nothing created

New Here ,
May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm using Robohelp 10 and Word 2010, both products are installed locally on a legal copy of Windows 7 Enterprise. Robohelp is current as I checked for updates yesterday. I have tried many different help projects ranging from 10-2000 topics with the same results. I have deleted the PSS files first, and see the same results.

Starting Robohelp and double-clicking Printed Documentation results in this error message ( I also see the same message when generating WebHelp however the compile is always successful):

printeddoc1.jpg

After clicking ok the Print Document General screen appears, the same message pops up, and all drop-down menus are blank:

printeddoc2.jpg

It is possible to continue clicking Next after manually entering the location and file name.

printeddoc3.jpg

After arriving at the final screen, I am able to click Save and Generate with no further errors,

printeddoc4.jpg

However nothing happens except the word Ready appears in the status bar.

printeddoc5.jpg

If anyone has encountered this before or knows where I might find a solution posted previously I would be very appreciative.

Thanks for your time,

Chad

Topics

Documentation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Output to pdf errors results in nothing created

New Here ,
May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm using Robohelp 10 and Word 2010, both products are installed locally on a legal copy of Windows 7 Enterprise. Robohelp is current as I checked for updates yesterday. I have tried many different help projects ranging from 10-2000 topics with the same results. I have deleted the PSS files first, and see the same results.

Starting Robohelp and double-clicking Printed Documentation results in this error message ( I also see the same message when generating WebHelp however the compile is always successful):

printeddoc1.jpg

After clicking ok the Print Document General screen appears, the same message pops up, and all drop-down menus are blank:

printeddoc2.jpg

It is possible to continue clicking Next after manually entering the location and file name.

printeddoc3.jpg

After arriving at the final screen, I am able to click Save and Generate with no further errors,

printeddoc4.jpg

However nothing happens except the word Ready appears in the status bar.

printeddoc5.jpg

If anyone has encountered this before or knows where I might find a solution posted previously I would be very appreciative.

Thanks for your time,

Chad

Topics

Documentation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is more common to delete the CPD file and reopen the project.

Have you tried with one of the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Also have you applied all the patches?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for responding.

I will try deleting the cpd, and I will also try a sample project.

I checked for updates on Monday; is there somewhere else I should look for a patch or does that updates inquiry catch the patches as well.

Chad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I deleted the CPD file and Incorrect Parameter message still shows; however, the drop-down menus now show options and I can proceed through the wizard. When I click Save and Generate, still nothing happens and the message in the status bar says Ready.

I then tried a sample report and the scenario is identical. It's starting to seem like perhaps there is something wrong with the conversion procedure; namely that it isn't starting or something is missing that prohibits it from starting.

I did notice that the Advanced PDF settings button is greyed out even though I have selected to output a pdf and also the document name is .doc not .pdf.  I'm guessing Robohelp automatically creates a new file from the .doc that is named .pdf so I don't specify .pdf anywhere the the setup.

printeddoc6.jpg

Do you think a complete uninstall and re-install might help in case any components are missing or damaged?

Thanks for your help

Chad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the slow reply.

If you haven't already tried the reinstall, first I would try generating just the Word document. Untick the PDF option and try that.

@petergrainge

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Same scenario for Word or PDF. I'm out of ideas!

I see the same parameter error before I output to HTML help but it always works.

I guess maybe an uninstall an reinstall unless you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Chad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You try check that you have all the patches but adding those might not fix it so maybe it is time to reinstall and then the patches.

@petergrainge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. Will do and let you know.

Chad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We uninstalled RH 10, reinstalled, applied the 10 patch and nothing has changed.

The error still shows; there are no options under the Generate Word DOC drop-down, and once I enter a name and location then click Save and Generate the program just sits for both DOC and PDF.

I'm wondering about a trial copy of the latest version to see if that allows the generation.

Snap7.jpg

Snap8.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For fun I deactivated the copy of Robohelp and installed it on my local c drive. It's been installed and working for at least 7 years on another stand alone box. I see the same Parameter error and now it is asking me to output to a location other than where it is installed, which is here (nowhere close to the c:/  root location).  I ended up setting the output to a network drive which was all it would accept. When I went through the setup and clicked Save and Generate the program still sits and does nothing.

That was my last option so now I have no other ideas.

Snap10.jpg

Snap9.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after reinstall and patch the compiled html webhelp file will no longer open in the latest version of chrome

opens fine in ie 11

Snap11.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i forgot to add after i applied the new whproxy.js patch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Rebuilt the VM box installed RH10.

Applied 10.1 patch.

Still seeing the Invalid Parameter error and when trying to output to pdf it just sits.

Is there some other Adobe product needed to create the pdf that this box may be missing?

If not I will have to start the search for another product to output to pdf as I have no options left.

I could upgrade to 11 but will likely have the same problem.

Thanks

Chad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Rebuilt VM installed RH11 trial. Same invalid parameter error. Still will not output pdf, just sits and says ready.

Do you think it may be a rights restriction somewhere?

Back to using version 10.1 it outputs as Review pdf only, but will not output from Printed Documentation pdf.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been away and will be in hospital Wednesday.

When did you download trial, recently? Did I ask if all patches applied?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Oh my I hope everything goes well.

We are getting closer, just now had the IT Administrator reset the box to 10.1 and run it on his own box. It works to output pdf and shows no parameter errors at all!!

So it looks like this is all OUR problem with rights not set somewhere on some folder level.

I appreciate all the time you spent and apologize for using your valuable time only to discover this is our mess!

Sending all the best wishes for the speediest of recoveries.

Chad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Glad you have managed to find a solution.

@petergrainge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines