Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page break rules for lists

Participant ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Recently upgraded to RH 2019 and have some queries around lists and page breaks.

Because I can only output to PDF as printed documentation (no Word supported output) is there any control around page break rules for lists? Specifically numbered lists.

I have a numbered procedure with several steps. Below each step I have a screen shot. The screen shot has been added using a <br> tag so the indentation remains and I do not get a new number. In the case of publishing to PDF, I am running in to areas where my text is at the bottom of a page and my image is then shown on the next page. I want to define keep together/page break rules for my lists so I can avoid this.

It was previously an issue for me so I would output to Word and then go through my docs manually to put in page breaks.

Any solutions for this?

Thanks,

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

As far as I can see, PDF programs do not allow you to add page breaks but perhaps this workaround would help. Both Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader allow you to convert a PDF for Word. You could then insert page breaks before saving back to PDF.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see, PDF programs do not allow you to add page breaks but perhaps this workaround would help. Both Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader allow you to convert a PDF for Word. You could then insert page breaks before saving back to PDF.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

So the only page break control I have is at the heading level and that's about it from what I can see.

And I assume there are no plans for RH to go back to providing MS Word output or some other generic file format that Word can open which I could use instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your assumption re a Word compatible output is wrong. See the RoboHelp

Reimagined sample project or the RoboHelp Tour on my site.

I don't know when.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Putting a page-break-inside: avoid statement in the CSS li element worked for me. However, this also means that with multi-level lists (MLLs), the root <li> also doesn't break so that the whole 2nd level stays together. So if you use MLLs, you need to do some intelligent selecting in the CSS if you want to try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp