Exit

Paragraph borders in Word-imported content

Mentor ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

TCS 4.0 -- Using Word 2007 with RH10.

I have a fair knowledge of importing FM to RH, but I am new to importing Word content into RH.

I have used paragraph borders for some styles in Word. For these styles, I have created RH equivalents and mapped appropriately. However, when I import the content into RH, even the paragraph borders defined in Word appear as is.

Paragraph borders in Word:

ParaBorderWord.jpg

Word RH Conversion Settings:

WordRHMapping.jpg

WebHelp output

WebHelpOutput.jpg

Any idea why this is happening? Please advise.

Sreekanth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I not looking at the images correctly as I am not seeing and borders around styles. The highlighted Course Objectives in the first image is not showing any borders.

That said, borders seem to be a law unto themselves. I just imported a document with a border around a style and in Rh I got two borders. The import is dependent on how Word saves a file in HTML format and it had done that by creating a DIV tag which was then superimposed on my Rh style, hence two borders.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing this, Peter.

That is right, the RH retains the border from Word's paragraph style irrespective of what we define in the RHStyleMapping.css file. I feel it is a bug. What do you think?

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand your thinking but on this occasion I do see Adobe's problem. You are converting a document formatted with Word code into an HTML format. To do that Rh has to tell Word to convert the document to HTML and that is done using Word's option to Save As and saving in HTML format. Rh is thus faced with the way that Word saves the document and the HTML Microsoft creates. Generally that is not squeaky clean HTML but Rh has to take what it is given.

Rubbish in = rubbish out.

Log it with Adobe but whether it is a Bug Report or a Feature Request is debateable.

Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation.

Personally for me, border usage in paragraph styles is common in Word. I believe making this (and other aspects such as quick parts) work will increase the adoption rate for RH, especially from those who are trying to migrate from Word to RH. In fact, that is our idea as well. We have several stakeholders who are creating documentation in Word and we want to convert these documentation to RH-based courses.

I have got in touch with Adobe on this, but till now the only response from them is that they are investigating the issue.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But ultimately I think there answer will be that with the best will in the world, they are in Microsoft's hands on this one. I hope I am wrong.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the best they could come up with till now, is a more unconvincing "We are noticing this behavior in RH 11 also. We will consider this as a feature request and try to incorporate it in next release." But when I ask them why my ISF file configuration is not being applied here, they are clueless.

Reminds me of a old joke -- Consistent error is a feature.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create an ISF, next time you use it you have to browse to it again. Have you done that?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I did.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp