Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF as referenced graphic in FM not appearing in RH

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(FM12 > RH11 and new to RH)

My FM file references a pdf graphic. The graphic is placed in a FM table.

Other referenced graphics in the FM file use the same table mechanism, but those graphics are png's.

After FM > RH linking and conversion, RH displays the png's as expected and does not display the pdf.

What am I missing?

Why the pdf instead of another png? A master file for one of the graphics is in Visio 2007 (yes), and the png export filter is not producing high quality, so I tried the pdf instead. If pdf does not work with RH and another graphical format does (.tif?), then I can export that format from Visio.

Best regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the PDF in an anchored frame within the table? AFAIK, only graphics in anchored frames get converted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis,

Thanks.

Yes, the PDF is referenced by the FM file the same as the png's: click in the table cell and then File > Import > File.

Best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, try putting the PDF in an anchored frame NOT in a table – on it’s on line for example – then see how it appears in the RH project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis

More information: the pdf is in an inset that is referenced into the container file. The png's are also in insets that are referenced in to the same container file.

The png's work and the pdf does not.

When I convert the pdf-holding inset to text in the container file, the pdf becomes visible in the RH output as expected.

@Jeff_Coatsworth: I can still test the ex-table anchored frame idea if you still suggest it in light of this new information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm – I’d be tempted to mock up an experiment with the PDF showing up referenced in all the ways you mention as well as directly into an anchored frame & see how that all comes across to RH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

After checking around the department, I've decided that the inset-ing must work, and must work with a table, so I'm now looking for alternatives.

The pdf is from Visio 2007 (yes, 2007). I wonder if another export format, such as eps, will work for screen and print and work through the inset?

Or maybe I can tag the pdf for print and png for screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp