Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing foreign translations in RH7

Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My documentation has been translated into several different languages.  Both the original (English) and the translated Help is generated in RH 7 -- both WebHelp and Printed Documentation.  Asian languages present issues.  The most pressing one is as follows:

The Korean characters (Index, ToC, everything) present correctly when viewed in RH7.  From the Single Source Layout pod/pane, I then generate Printed Documentation of that Korean Help system.  Only junk characters result, however, when the Printed Documentation is generated (in Word), i.e., every character shows as a tiny little square.  (In Japanese and Chinese, many characters present correctly, but some in the ToC and Index display as garbled characters.)

Any ideas why this is happening?  There are other issues with the Asian languages, specifically the Related Topics buttons disappearing in WebHelp, but right now this is the most important.  Thank you very much for any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no knowledge of working with foreign languages in this way but one thought occurs. What happen if you press CTRL A in Word and change the language to whatever is appropriate?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion, but it didn't work.  Western languages work fine; are Asian languages known to be problematic in RH7?  Or in any version?  Does anyone know?  The language settings -- in Word AND in RH7 -- seem to make no difference, i.e, whether they're on the correct language or not.

An image of the problem (junk characters for Korean in Print Documentation - Word) is attached.

If I find no answer in this forum, my other option for support is to contact Adobe, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uploading that image using the camera icon. Your attachment has got caught in a queue.

It might be worth trying the HATT group in Yahoo Groups before you go to Adobe. Whatever you try, if you don't get a satisfactory answer, post back here and I will see if any contact can help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the HATT suggestion.  No one there has responded yet (posted 2 days ago).

I have installed the latest service release for RH 7 and checked that the proper language packs are installed.  I just have the feeling that there is a simple solution to this, only I don't know what it is.  I've lost well over a week on this one issue.

Any other suggestions / ideas?   Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create two new projects with just one topic each. One in a language where things work as they should and one in Korean. Name to projects with the language. Check the printed documentation is failing as with you main project.

Zip them up and send them to me via http://www.cutesendit.com. Include a link to this thread in the email. You can get the address from my site.

I may not be able to resolve this one as I don't usually work with foreign languages but I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2009 Aug 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is that you are not using a Unicode font. I changed the topic to Arial Unicode MS and it all worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp