Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with RH2019 HTML5 Output in IE11

Enthusiast ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a couple of problems with my HTML5 online help when I try to display it in IE11. I am using RH2019 version 14.0.8

• the icons for TOC, Index, Glossary and Search are not displayed
  • the buttons for "Remove highlighting" and "Print are not displayed
  • the search to the top right is displayed, but does not provide any results
  • my image in the header is displayed in a wrong resolution
  • when I open a file somewhere in the structure via context-sensitive help call, the TOC does not fold up to the correct location

Here's what I tried:

• for the help to open, I added a mark of the web <!-- saved from url=(0016)http://localhost --> (for test purposes, only in the index.htm and one file, but will be added to all files)
  • I set the compatibility mode on and off with no effect
  • I tested with files both stored on my C-drive and hosted on a server

My help works fine in Edge and Chrome.

This is how the help looks in IE11:

HelpIE.png

This is how it looks in Chrome:

HelpChrome.png

Any ideas what I can do to make my help also work in IE11?

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Karin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karin

Your skin is clearly customised. Does it work if you use the same base skin without any customisation? Which skin is it?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

yes, I used a customized skin based on Azure_Blue. I made my adjustments to the skin in RH, not in the file itself. I tested with the default Azure_Blue skin with the same problems. I also tested with Charcoal_Grey: here, all buttons are displayed, but the content of my files is not displayed. Only a white page is shown in the main window. With Coffee, clicking any of the TOC entries on the start page does not open the respective file in IE11.

The problem also occurs, if I create the output with the sample project Robohelp Reimagined using the default settings there.

Thanks for your help and kind regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Together with a web developer, I think I found the cause of the problem. IE11 reacts on a syntax error that is no problem for Chrome or Edge. The Azure_Blue skin (and therefore also my customized skin) writes an empty parameter value in the usersettings.js (stored in the output directory - template -  Azure_Blue [skin name])

line 23

model.publish(rh.consts('KEY_IS_RESPONSIVE'), );

If you manually set this parameter to either true or false, the output works as expected (and is then either responsive or not)

model.publish(rh.consts('KEY_IS_RESPONSIVE'), true);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, once again. The change to the usersettings.js above makes the help work in IE11, if called directly from a directory (with path file://). However, if the help is opened out of our application (path now starting with http://), it is lacking functionality. The TOC does not fold up, thumbnails for images cannot be enlargened, sequences are not displayed. The console shows the following error:

SCRIPT5022: Syntax Error rh.min.js (5,8866)

The latter number is differing in the respective error messages. Also, some undefined errors are displayed.

I tested with the default Azure_Blue skin.

Any ideas on this are welcome!

Kind regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should give the RH folks a buzz at tcssup@adobe.com or just file a bug in the Tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, I did as you proposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karin

Please try a new project with just one topic. I am seeing the icons in IE11.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, you are right. With a completely new project, the icons are displayed. I checked the usersettings.js, now, the parameter is set correctly. Unfortunately, this does not solve my other issue with opening the project out of the application. If I do this, it lacks functionality and the errors are still the same.

I am already in contact with Adobe Tech Support and are just waiting for their call. I will update any solution we hopefully find here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have a help project based on a non-modified azure-blue and are experiencing the same thing in usersettings.js: A parameter is missing in the line
model.publish(rh.consts('KEY_IS_RESPONSIVE'), );

I can fix this in the web generated help, and then it works, but the fix gets overwritten every time I recompile the help project. Did you find a way to make that fix permanent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. The support did not come back to me. However, as my company decided that IE 11 needs not to be supported, I did not press this topic any further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Karin. I think I found a workaround, though once Adobe responds to my support issue they might have something to say about it.

What I think is happening is that the 'responsive' flag for azure blue skin isn't set properly. What I did was to create a new skin based on azure blue, navigate to the 'Layout/Media Query' portion of the new skin, and turn off 'responsive'. I then saved, went back into the skin editor, turned on 'responsive', saved, and generated the output. Once I did that, the output had a value for that entry in the generated javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp