• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project keeps getting removed from RoboSource Control 3.1

Participant ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a project that keeps getting removed from RSC.  I just made a new folder, pulled a clean copy, put a space in a topic to verify it would check out, all ok.  Rebooted my computer and attempted to open the same project and it indicates it has been removed from version control.

• We just upgraded to RH 2017 a few weeks back. 
  • We added a new user.
  • We installed the RSO3 middle tier patch to the new computer.
  • All of us are running Windows 7 64.
  • All of us have RH2017.
  • 2 of us are coming in via VPN.
  • None of these problems occurred (even with this project) prior to RH2017.
  • Haven't tried to see what the person local to the server see's when he opens the project but that would potentially open a different issue since he has not worked on this project.
  • If I add to version control after opening the project it goes strangely fast and then the other person is prompted with "project has been removed from version control."
  • We are both deleting our .cpd file when the project opens (check box in setup is checked).

Any ideas??

Thanks,

dv

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

The solution:  Once the person with the latest edits checked in, I did the following:

• Pulled the project from version control into a new folder.
  • Renamed the project .xpj file.
  • Deleted all the files that are created like .ali, .brs, .cpd, .glo, .hhc .... .pss.
  • Disconnected from the network so RSC could not find its way home.
  • Opened the new project name.
  • Selected disconnect from version control when prompted.
  • Selected the folder and made all files read/write
  • Reconnected to the VPN
  • Opened the new project (

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you haven't got the cpd, pss, or ldb checked in to source control as they contain pc specific information and have caused problems for me in the past when multiple people have been working on the same project.  If you added everything to RSC using Robohelp you should be fine, but it's possible someone could have added the files manually through RSC (I haven't used it myself, but I assume it has similar basic functionality to other source control applications).

If they are, delete manually from source control and commit the deletion. (Check that there are no other files checked out, or in a 'pending' state while you're at it.) Then I would delete the CPD and make a backup zip of the project for each PC (stored in a safe place away from you working folder), just to make sure you have a copy of all files in case they haven't been checked in properly or have been removed from source control. After that, I would delete the project from each PC completely and do a fresh "Get Latest" to make sure everyone has the same project files, and open and close the project on each PC. Do this on one PC at a time and make sure noone is working on the project until you're all synced. Try some of your standard workflow and see if you're still getting the problem.

While you've got the "delete cpd" setting turned on, you could also try manually deleting the cpd before opening the project every time, just to see if that makes a difference. This would just (hopefully) rule out a problem with the automatic setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these files are in source control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebooting our computers results in having our project thrown out of version control every time.  If we don't reboot our computers it works fine.  Only a reboot of the computer kicks us out.

We have another project that works just fine regardless of rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were sort of correct but it required us to remove from version control, rename, delete all the old named files, put it back and have everyone pull fresh local copies.  Details at bottom of this thread in case someone has this problem in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit concerned you deleted .hcc, .glo, .brs, .ali, and .hhk. This would mean you have deleted your table of contents, glossary, browse sequences, context sensitive help mappings, and index. You've checked to make sure all that sort of thing is still working correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everything seems to be working perfectly.  We don't use browse sequences, this is a service manual and the TOC is there but our manager hates it.

I just gave it another once over and it looks perfect.  Rather than using the TOC, we use a flow diagram of our equipment which shows how each part is connected to the other parts, and by clicking on hot-spots in an image, you get your choice of disassembly, theory, or troubleshooting.  Those hot-spot links in a popup are a visual intuitive way to approach a service book.  I can't give you all my secrets but that has been awesome for us.  Everything is where it should be, breadcrumbs work, we gave it a good test drive and so far, nothing is abnormal.  I will give the other guys a heads up to watch the TOC to make sure everything is there even though it is hidden by default on compile.

I will say i hate the ribbon at the top of RH2017, RH10 icons were much easier for me but i have been using RH for 16 years or so and change is always hard.  Thanks a lot for watching this thread.  I wanted to put in our solution before I change roles in my company. I hope I can find a use for RH in my next role but I have to feel it out before I start innovating new things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution:  Once the person with the latest edits checked in, I did the following:

• Pulled the project from version control into a new folder.
  • Renamed the project .xpj file.
  • Deleted all the files that are created like .ali, .brs, .cpd, .glo, .hhc .... .pss.
  • Disconnected from the network so RSC could not find its way home.
  • Opened the new project name.
  • Selected disconnect from version control when prompted.
  • Selected the folder and made all files read/write
  • Reconnected to the VPN
  • Opened the new project (now outside version control)
  • Added to version control into a new folder
  • Instructed the other writers to pull the project into a new folder

Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp