• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project upgraded from RH9 to RH2020 missing all topics

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently upgraded to RoboHelp 2020 and the first thing I did was to install the latest update (2020.5.71). I am trying to upgrade my existing RoboHelp 9 project but end up without any topics. All topics (and most images) are stored in sub-folders in existing RH 9 project. I cannot get a screenprint of  the RH 9 project as it constantly crashes on opening since I started running Windows 10 (which is why we upgraded to 2020). I am attaching a screenprint of the RH 9 project folders in Windows Explorer and also of the RH 2020 project folders. The project has 2 tables of contents (English & French) which are both shown in RH 2020 upgraded project but none of the content. Help topics I found online regarding upgrading classic projects to RH 2020 indicated that  topics/images in root folder would be moved to Assets folder while all others would remain in existing folders so the fact that topics/images in old project are in subfolders shouldn't be causing the issue. My project is stored on a network drive for backup purposes but I also tried to do the upgrade from a copy on my local hard drive and that didn't make a difference.

RH20-Project.pngRH20-WindowsExplorer.pngRH9-WindowsExplorer.png

TOPICS
Classic , New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Just wanted to update this post to advise that I have now successfully upgraded my RH 9 project to new RH 2020 format. Thanks to everyone who offered help and especially to Ssurbi and Peter Grainge for the solution.

For anyone else who may be struggling with a similar issue and come across this post, I ended up starting the process over by fixing the root.fpj folder (which likely became corrupted by the RH 9 project in Windows 10). Then I upgraded the RH 9 project to RH 2019 Classic and finally

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a another thread for someone upgrading an RH10 project to RH2020. I'm wondering if the upgrade from versions earlier than RH11 might not work.

It might be worth contacting support directly for this one:

See the following page for support contact options:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PMCDEV,

Upgrade from Rh11 will not work properly. You should upgrade to any of 2015/2017/2019 classic first and then upgrade that project to 2020. You can download 2019.0.14 version (this includes classic as well) from here https://www.adobe.com/support/robohelp/downloads.html.

thanks,

Vivek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not work. I downloaded RH 2019.0.14 version and tried upgrading my RH 9 project to RH 2019 Classic project but am experiencing the same issue - ALL TOC links are broken. No topics are listed in the project at all.  My topics are arranged in sub-folders but none of the sub-folders appear in the project for topics or images. I can see them in Windows Explorer but the RH project upgrade is not including them. What else can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do make sure you have a zipped backup of your project before opening the project in RH2019 Classic. Just in case something goes wrong. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I always create a copy of the project first in order to preserve the existing projects for earlier versions of our software - just in case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, you opened the Adobe Robohelp Classic 2019 entry in your start menu, not the Adobe Robohelp 2019 entry, then selected File > Open to open your RH9 project?

I'm only checking because there have been occasions where people have not noticed there were two different entries for Robohelp, and tried to use the upgrade option in New UI instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first installed RH 2019 and launched it, it was the new UI. When the upgrade failed the first time, I remembered reading something on this forum regarding the two versions. I deleted the failed project and opened RH 2019 Classic for other attempts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the Classic project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Classic version is still working, correct?

If it is, can you send it to me as earlier.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RH 9 classic project was working fine until my laptop was upgraded to Windows 10. RoboHelp consistently crashes when I open ANY project and online research seemed to suggested that RH 9 is not compatible with Windows 10 which is why we upgraded to RH 2020. 

I am in the process of uploading the classic project as per directions on your website. It is not that large (approximately 381 MB zipped) but will take another 15 minutes or so as I am working on a VPN and unfortuntely did not think to disconnect from it before starting the file transfer which makes everything slower!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assuming that is the RH9 project and indeed it is corrupt as no topics show in Project Manager. That's the bad news.

The good news is it is recoverable. In 2019 Classic > Project Manager recreate the folder structure with exactly the same names, character perfect. Then right click on a folder and select Import. Browse to that folder in your project and select all the files in it. They will then import along with the graphics.

When done, generate again to prove it works in Classic. Then it will upgrade to the new version.

As above, I think the damage was done when you tried to open RH9 on Windows 10. I am assuming you don't have a backup from then that was not opened. If you do, that should still work and avoid the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. Unfortunately, I messed something up so just checking if I need to repeat everything I just did or if there is a quicker fix.

I followed your directions to recreate the folder structure in Project Manager and imported all the topics. It worked perfectly - everything was imported and both TOC's looked fine with no broken links. Then I realized that I hadn't renamed the project for the latest software version for which I will be updating the content. I saved the project first but, after I renamed it, all the links are broken again. The folder structure in Project Manager is intact but the topics/images are no longer in the folders with the exception of top level Help Overview topic. Do I need to import everything again? Or is there something else I can try?

I'm a little concerned that renaming the project seems to have caused this as it is something I would do each time I need to update the project for a new software version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do the renaming from within RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. File - Rename Project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this scenario I would leave the project name alone for now. Get the project fixed in Classic and upgrade it. The renaming can be done later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - but the damage has been done. Since I already renamed the project and broke all the links, I guess I will just need to re-import all my topics again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring the original name first. Worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After re-importing all my topics/images, I was successfully able to generate all versions of my output in RH 2019 Classic. However, when I upgraded the RH 2019 Classic project to RH 2020, once again all topics/images are missing - except for the intro topic for each language. This is very discouraging! I guess I can just recreate folder structure in RH 2020 and import all topics again - but I am concerned as to why this process is not working for me - even after taking the interim step of upgrading the project from RH 9 to RH 2019 Classic. 

Also, I did try recreating one folder in RH 2020 to import topics/images but it appears to work differently than it did in RH 2019 Classic. In my original RH 9 project, images were stored in subfolders I created to match topic folders. In RH 2019 Classic, once I imported the topics, the images all appeared in the same sub-folder with the associated topics which was fine. However, in RH 2020, the images just appear in the "images" folder under "assets" and I am not sure if that is what is supposed to happen and, if so, if I can move them into sub-folders without breaking anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Upgrade should itself take care of all topics and images etc. It must be some specific scenario. Can you please share your 2019 classic project with us at sumahesh@adobe.com

We will have a look at it and get back to you asap. Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had suggested here that deleting the CPD might be worth a try. I have since learned it plays no part in the upgrade so I have deleted the suggestion.

Surbhi fixes anything so send her the project. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Peter shared your project with me and it turns out that .fpj file is the culprit here.

Your EN and FR folders in root are not listed in root.fpj file. I added them in root.fpj like this:

<folder>
<name>EN</name>
</folder>
<folder>
<name>FR</name>
</folder>

2019 Classic started all the topics and images fine. There are no broken links.

Then I upgraded  the project to latest RH 2020 Update 5 and it looks fine there as well. 

Can you please try this and update here?

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PMCDEV What I sent to Surbhi was the zip file you sent to me. Follow Surbhi's steps on that version (RoboHelp 9 zip) as the upgrade to 2019 breaks many other FPJ files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PMCDEV It seems Surbhi had a different experience from me when she upgraded to Classic.

Only the root.fpj broke for Surbhi so see what happens when you fix that in 2019 Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since extracted the original zip again and this time it is only the root.fpj that seems to be wrong! Clearly the elves are at play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp