Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Purpose of Redirect in Merged Help?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 2017 13.0.2.334

Greetings RoboHelpers! After 14 years of merged help .chm goodness in RoboHelp, we are finally making the switchover to using web-based help, specifically using the Responsive HTML5 layout. We're also trying to mimic the merged help we had in the chms.

This week I've been working at converting our help system outputs to that format, creating layouts etc,  and getting the merged help figured out. I have the merged help working, but have a few questions:

First, I saw on Peter's site, information about about a javascript redirect in his instructions:
Merged WebHelp and HTML5 Help

What is the purpose of that js redirect? I didn't really understand its purpose and so didn't implement it.

Second, our parent help project that the child helps are merged beneath does contain a few topics itself. What is the best way to link to those parent topics in RoboHelp from the child projects? How can I maintain those links when topic files get renamed?

Third, simiilar to second, what about sibling to sibling links? We have 500+ links between sibliing .chms that we will need to convert. Links that look something like this:

<a href="pcdmiscmm.chm::/pcdmis_cmm_introduction.htm">PC-DMIS

CMM</a>

I plan on using Np++ to do some pattern replacements across the board for each of the .chms we are linking to. Is there anything else I should know, or best practices I should follow?

Fourth, I nottiiced that if I make change in the parent help project and click publish, it tries to publish everything in the child helps, even though I've published them separately already. How do I tell RH not to do this and to ONLY publish that parrent project?

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more as I continue my foray. Many thanks in advance.

Jared

Message was edited by Peter Grainge. Title referred to WebHelp but thread is about Responsive Help. Purpose of redirect is the same in both.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Jared.

The reason for the redirect is to do with the structure that RoboHelp creates when you generate the parent. That is shown in Figure 3 in my topic.

When you create links between child projects, you can do so easily by following the method I describe. You will need to redo all your sibling links because they are written a different way in CHMs. Those links will work just fine provided you have also set up your projects using the structure I show in Figure 4.

Where the problem comes in is with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited the thread title.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I am indeed using WebHelp. It hadn't occurred to me that Xenu would not work on Responsive... but I will file that under "reasons to postpone the migration"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harsh! Xenu has not been update since 4th September 2010. You'll be waiting a long time for Xenu to get changed and that's not Adobe's fault.

I know it's an extra step but I think generating both outputs whilst time consuming has to be the answer. There are other link checkers available that will work locally but look at the price.

Maybe RoboHelp should have a link checker that works on the output as well including merged help. BIG HINT.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter for checking that. I think that option will work. And thanks Ioana_St for your documentation on Xenu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp