• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"rhcl.exe has stopped working” (CMD) / "Failed to generate Printed Documentation" (Rh GUI)

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rh Community (Hi Peter and Rick )

Any of you come across this "acute" issue (unable to determine the exact timing on what was done prior to having this issue) when attempting to generate Printed Documentation from RoboHelp?

Thank You,

~PM

Adobe Rh Version: Rh11

History: Rh11 on a separate machine (Win 7). I did have Rh 2017 installed (not anymore) on the same Rh11 PC just to upgrade one project for testing. Local Build (No source control involve in this case.

Issue: When running the documentation build script from the Command Line (CMD) and Rh attempts to build the two certain documents. The first time Rh compiler hits the “PayablesAdministratorGuide”, a message pad (popup) indicating that the “rhcl.exe has stopped working” (see Pic 1 below). This error reoccurs when it comes to PayablesImportExportGuide document. Note: The remaining printed documentation (e.g. User/Admin guides) for all projects generate with no issue.

pic1.jpg

If I use Rh11 GUI (Opening Rh project and generating printed docs), I can not generate ANY Printed documentation, 20 seconds through the generation process I get an error "Failed to generate Printed Documentation (XXXXX)." (See Pic 2).

pic2.jpg

Notes:

• This happens for any project. This even happens when I print the EmployeeCare2.
  • I am able to generate CHMs with no issue.

Attempts to resolve issue: I also Re-installed Rh11, as well as its Update. No change.

In a Nutshell: Using the command prompt works but crashes on two documents, and using Rh GUI, nothing works.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking you have received a new template I sent. Hotmail sometimes blocks.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I did the test (upgrading the AP from Rh11 to Rh2017 and generated the McKesson Admin Guide SSL, the same results).

rh2017_ap_gen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RESOLUTION for the "rhcl.exe has stopped working"

ISSUE: The problem occurred (onset not known) in ONE project and ONLY for certain layouts/Printed Documentations (SSLs).

RH Output View: The error occurred after (ref. Rh Output View): Updating list paragraphs... Saving 'PayablesAdministratorsGuide.doc...

rh_error.jpg

NOTE: All other SSLs in this project and in other projects, had no issues as indicated above.

RESOLUTION for the two outputs:

• Editing the Generate Word DOC selection.
    • Using the drop-down list and changing the selection from .doc to “.docx

rh_resolution.jpg

IMPORTANT: This issue was specific to two outputs out of many and in a specific environment. Though, I was able to replicate this specific situation in a Win10, Rh2017 environment, the “.DOC” works (except for two output ssls) in the same Win7 environment and in other environments (Win10).

Credit: Kudos goes out to Peter for his knowledge, patience, persistence, and humor. ~PMR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has been on of the most puzzling problems that I have ever dealt with on the forums from the point of view of the logic of the solution and what worked where during the troubleshooting. Nothing including the solution makes sense.

PROBLEM

Paul has a legacy RoboHelp 11 project but during the troubleshooting a copy was upgraded to RoboHelp 2017 and the problem persisted.  In short, for Paul, five of the seven print outputs work just fine while two will crash RoboHelp after they start generating. What could be the cause?

THE LAYOUTS

At first that seemed quite likely as on my machine they all crashed on my machine as soon as I opened any one of  them. Rebutting that is the fact that five of them do work for Paul.

I then created a new layout  not using Paul's template and that generated the layouts Paul was having trouble with. That seemed like an early fix except that when I sent that project back to Paul, the working layout crashed RoboHelp on his machine.

Next I found that if I removed the macro that was in Paul's template, I could use that template. Again though, when Paul did the same, it crashed on generation.

There was nothing we could do with the layouts that would work on Paul's machines.

THE COMPUTERS

Paul's two machines are very different but if they were the underlying cause, either all print outputs would work or all would fail. Remember, the issue is only with two out of seven outputs.

THE ENVIRONMENT

Same argument. All outputs would fail if that were the problem.

THE TOPICS

Could it be something in a topic that was only in the failing outputs? Ruled out by the fact that the same topics were working just fine using my new outputs on my machine. Again, sending that project back to Paul would result in a fail.

WORD VERSION

All outputs would fail if that were the problem.

FINAL SOLUTION

Paul found that if he changed the document type from DOC to DOCX the two failing outputs worked. So could it be something in the topics that required DOCX. No, as DOC worked just fine on my machine.

CAUSE

Unless anyone has a better idea, I believe the elves were at play.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp