Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce output content in Robohelp

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i am currently using Robohelp 2019, and for generating output i usually use tags to display what is necessary but what i realise is that all the files in the project are also generated which creates a huge size for the output file with unnecessary topics .

What can i do to reduce the size of output file ? is it possible to delete not needed topics ?

Thank you

Best Regards,

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In RoboHelp 2019, we do not generate any extra file in output. We do TOC based publishing which means all topics referred in TOC and topics referred in topics (getting published from TOC) are generated in output.

Which version of RH are you using and which output you are generating?

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So , do you advise to create TOC for each output in same project better than tags ?

for example i have one project with a lot of topics and i need to generate 4 different outputs from it so it is better to use TOC ? in that case the other topics that i dont need to display will not be generated in output ? thank you

Bregards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responsivhe HTML5 output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOC gets filtered based on expressions you have selected while generating output. So technically you can use same TOC with different tags for different outputs. But if TOCs are very different then for the ease of use you can have different TOC for outputs.

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Sorry Surbhi, I missed your replies when I waded in, apologies and hope I didn't hurt your feet when I trod on them. It is as you say, there is no right answer to using tags or different TOCs as it comes down to whatever the poster finds the easiest solution.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the TOC topic in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project. In 2019 (new UI, not Classic), in the absence of tags, the output is whatever is in the TOC.

With tags applied, that logic will be affected by your expression. You haven't said how your expression is written. If it is to include certain topics in 2019 that is happening anyway.

You ask if it is possible to delete topics. Do you mean entirely or just from an output? If entirely the the answer is yes, just right click the topic in Contents or press Delete.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sir,

the display of output generated is okay, the issue is in the output file : it will include all topics in project not just the displayed ones.

i am asking if it is possible to have only topics displayed in output file or the project will generate all topics anyway not taking in consideration what will be displayed or not ?

Best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No the output does not contain all topics unless they are all contained in the TOC. The output is everything in the TOC plus topics with links from those topics minus anything you have excluded by using a build expression.

If you are finding the output contains topics you don't think should be there, then check the TOC to see it is not there, check the links from other topics to ensure they are not dragging it in and check the build expression really does exclude it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp