• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive HTML 5 Only be published to Sharepoint (...) and RoboHelp Server?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having convinced the boss about RoboHelp, I've got to talk to the Tech Guys about setting up Version Control and publishing help to the customers.

The plan is to use our development server (named GIT!) as a version control repository and also as a location from which to publish and serve/test the help.

I'm not a networking expert, so I've re-read sections of the manual a few times but I'm still not getting it. This quote from the Generating Output>Generate Responsive HTML5 Output section of the manual:

Specify a server location for the output. To publish HTML5 output to a SharePoint site, click New and select SharePoint. Enter the UNC path of the folder on the SharePoint site (If the folder is mapped as a network drive, click Browse to select the drive).

Similarly, to publish HTML5 output to RoboHelp Server 10, click New and select RoboHelp Server. Enter the Server Name (http://<servername>:port number/<context-name>/server), User ID and Password. Select the Save Password option if you want to save the password. Click the refresh icon to view the available areas on the server where you can publish your project.

I've read that other version control systems can be used, and am happy I can point the tech guys to the right parts of the manual to work this out.

And I'm sure that its possible to publish a Responsive HTML5 project to a location that isn't a RoboHelp Server.

But could somebody please confirm or otherwise, to save me sending the poor tech guys on a fools' errand:

Can I publish and version control Responsive HTML5 help via our Development server, or do we need to use RoboHelp Server and one of the "approved" version control products mentioned in the User Guide?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the subject of where you publish, any web enabled server is fine, you do not have to use RoboHelp Server. If you did want to use that, you would need the latest version.

The development server can be used for the source control if that is where you and your developers want the version control to be stored. I am not sure if you are also asking if the help can run from there. I am no version control expert and will be asking someone else to take a look at this aspect. However, running the help from that server would be OK if it is configured as a web server but running it from within version control I would have thought goes against the whole idea. Maybe you didn't mean that.

Hope that helps pending someone with more source control knowledge popping in.

There is a source control forum that might be worth browsing through. Source Control

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I realise the files I will be source controlling are not the same as the generated / published output. The development server just seems the best place to "publish" my help until the product goes live. The Files under version control - and the generated and published help - will exist as separate entities.

My understanding is that help files are published in a folder, with an index.htm file used to @kick start@ the help in a web browser. And that the user will (typically) activate index.htm file via a shortcut icon (usually a question mark) in the program for which the help has been written. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, I'm just trying to confirm that is how it works with responsive html5 help. If its any different to that, I need to know, to save wasting the techie's time.

What I'm trying to do so far is make sure everything works and I know (vaguely!) what I'm doing. My last job I just had to check in/out stuff I was working on. Somebody else had been responsible for setting up, talking to techies; testing and making sure everything worked in the first place.

One of our tech guys is setting me up with some space on the dev server this morning, so I can get started and maybe in a few days be able to ask some more pertinent questions.

In the meantime I will take a look at the Source Control forum, as advised.

Thanks Again

JV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes responsive Help is opened via the index.htm page in the same way as webhelp.

CSH has different calls but that's another matter.

Did you mean to mark your own post as the correct answer?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! No I didn't.

thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have unmarked it now.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp