• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive HTML TOC

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying output of a Responsive HTML project (FM/RoboHelp HTML)  My output is not displaying the TOC in the left margin at the same time the topic content displays on the right. This makes navigation from topic to topic awkward. Isn't the TOC supposed to be displaying at the same time? The sample skins for desktop show the Responsive HTML TOC and Topic content together. So why isn't it combined in my output?  What is going on?

I was hoping I could use the Responsibe HTML because our management doesn't want us to use ActiveX controls that are incorporated into the WebHelp. Management also doesn't want us to use FlashHelp. Both are seem as "security threats."  I tried using Microsoft HTML help, but I just heard from this forum that the output chm files can't be saved on a web server which is how we distribute the content.

I am running out of options, so I am trying Responsive HTML. But the TOC and display of topic content makes the navigation very awkward and annoying.

Any suggestions? Please help and thank you very, very much for all of your previsous support.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Betsy, I thought I explained the AcitveX issue earlier in the thread. Maybe you missed it? Or maybe you didn't fully understand what was said. In that case, I'll offer the following.

During generation of output, JavaScript code is involved. And it really doesn't matter if it's WebHelp, Multiscreen, Responsive or FlashHelp.

When Microsoft Internet Explorer tries to present the content, it normally issues a warning about "ActiveX controls". The thing is, it's sort of a "false positive". Sort of lik

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, funny about those "security threats". Even though IE reports "ActiveX controls", what it is really quibbling about is JavaScript code. And guess what? JavaScript code exists in the Responsive layout too!

IE only throws a hissy fit about it when you test locally. The moment you place content on a server, all it well and it doesn't act like the world is ending because you are now in a different "security zone".

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I should clarify the "server" mention; If you run it from a network server, you will still see issues as it is still considered a local drive. What I meant was a web server where things are served via HyperText Transfer Protocol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your comments related to ActiveX controls and security.

But do you know if the Responsive HTML output displays the TOC and topic content coupled in the same view? That is what I am hoping to accomplish.

The skin I selected for the Responsive HTML output (Theme1 Standard) shows the TOC in the left column and the topic content to the right. However after I generated my project I was only able to view either the TOC or the topic content. And then after I click a topic in the TOC, the TOC closes and a separate view of the topic opens. The TOC and topic content are not visible at the same time.

I believe if I could resolve this, I may be happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a quick question I am hoping you are able to answer.

If our management does not want us to use ActiveX controls or Flash, and we distribute our user guide and context sensitive application help via a web server, (distributed state-wide)  what type of output would you recommend we use to develop FrameMaker/RoboHelp project output?

I have been testing most of the output options in the Single Source Layout pod. So far I am still not sure which one we should be using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you having the content reside on the web server to be accessed each time someone looks something up in the help or are you just placing it there so that it can be downloaded? What are you using right now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for asking for clarification Jeff. To answer your question, here's a description of our current system.

Our NYS county users, access our state-developed application through an Internet portal (I believe it is Centerport) (Welcome to My NY.gov Online Services)

User who have questions about using the application click the Help menu to access a pdf file (which currently is distributed via a web server). Pdf bookmarks (based on FrameMaker Cross Ref markers) are used to enable the user to open a specific page of the 1,000 pdf file that relates to the application page of their question.

The current problem with this is that the pdf file take several minutes to open, and each time the user wants to access a different help page, the entire pdf file needs to download again, making the system somewhat unusable. And counties that lack the necessary bandwidth to open the 1,000 page pdf are unable to access anything--so there is no help for those counties.

We were hoping to use of FM/RH so that the help system opens much quicker and enables all counties to access the help system. And I also hope to provide popup explanations of the dialog box controls as we currently have approximately 400 hundred pages of bulleted items that explain the controls in each of the dialog boxes. This is "unusable" because there are so many bulleted items, by the time you find the bulleted description associated with a dialog box control, you forgot where you saw the picture of the dialog box. I wanted to enable users to simply click a dialog box control to see a description at the same time they are viewing the graphic of the dialog box.

To resolve both of these usability issues I developed two demos (WebHelp and FlashHelp) both of which open quickly and have popup explanations of dialog box controls. All team staff who view these demos think it is great!  Who wants to be lost in hundreds of pages of bullets without getting an easy answer to your question?

However, our IT staff (who didn't even look at the demo) says we can't use our project because it is based on ActiveX controls or Flash, both of which are not secure.

I don't want to give up, I am simply trying to find a solution that satisfies our IT staff. In short we need output that isn't based on ActiveX, Flash, opens quickly, and hopefully permits popup information.

Thank you, I am looking forward to your reply! Is there a possible solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pages currently coded in? They must employ some sort of scripting to be able to function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, our source FrameMaker files (with Cros Ref bookmarks to indicate help topics) are saved as a single pdf and our make-shift help system calls reference to the help-on-page bookmark (via Java) to display the appropriate pdf page.

Does this answer your question? Thank you very much for asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of – I was really referring to the web page that is actually doing something – not the help that was called. Presumably, it must use some scripting to accomplish whatever task is asked of it. I think your best results might come from getting your IT guys to suggest what format the text and/or html you produce can be displayed and accessed to their satisfaction. Then, that might impact what tool(s) you use to produce it. What do other government agencies use for their help systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the response. Your response sounds like "common sense."  I believe the trouble we are having is that our IT staff knows what they don't want but sense they are unfamiliar with RoboHelp, they don't know what they want. So if I ask them to suggest something, they may not have anything much to say.

As far as what web page displays, in the current system the pdf help that displays is not based in html code. The browser window is only used to display the pdf page without html.

I am trying to convert the display to html. And I am trying to figure out if any of the RoboHelp HTML output options can generate a project without use of ActiveX. At the moment, I still don't know which outputs don't use ActiveX. I was guesing the Responsive HTML5 does not use ActiveX. Is that a correct assumption? If so, I was going to try to generate a project that is based on Responsive HTML5 output. Otherwise, I don't know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, they all use JavaScript as Rick already stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Betsy, I thought I explained the AcitveX issue earlier in the thread. Maybe you missed it? Or maybe you didn't fully understand what was said. In that case, I'll offer the following.

During generation of output, JavaScript code is involved. And it really doesn't matter if it's WebHelp, Multiscreen, Responsive or FlashHelp.

When Microsoft Internet Explorer tries to present the content, it normally issues a warning about "ActiveX controls". The thing is, it's sort of a "false positive". Sort of like smelling smoke and screaming FIRE without knowing there is an actual fire.

The bottom line is that although Microsoft Internet Explorer reports "ActiveX controls", there are no ActiveX controls actually there. ONLY JavaScript. And it's the JavaScript that is triggering the message. As far as I'm aware, only IE does this. And as I explained earlier, it only does it when you open the content from your local hard drive. It does nothing and simply presents the help when you open the content from a web server.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!! You are right, I didn't fully understand your first explanation. And I understand as you restated your explanation. THANK YOU!!

Now to finish up my project! You made my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp