Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive HTML5 Help filter issue - Index and Glossary

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My team is working on multiple Robohelp projects (around 10) and generating Repsonsive HTML5 output for each project. We have a conditional build tag applied to each project such that we can use the filter to select each help.

Now, the filter works fine for Table of Contents but when it comes to Index and Glossary, it is not getting displayed in the Online Help even though they exist in RH in the individual helps.

Any thoughts? Please let me know if more information is needed.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you applying the tags only at TOC level? If you are, that will only filter the TOC. Tags need to be at topic or content level.

There was a long thread a few months back about merged help and filtering. I think the gist of it was that all projects need the same filters in the same order, even though some of the filters are not needed in all projects when standalone.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tags are applied at the Topic-Level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, the filter works fine for Table of Contents but when it comes to Index and Glossary, it is not getting displayed in the Online Help even though they exist in RH in the individual helps.

The filter icon is always present if all the projects including the parent have filtering set up. Are you saying the index is still showing topics that have been filtered out? If not, explain a bit more.

We have a conditional build tag applied to each project such that we can use the filter to select each help.

As you can't apply tags to whole projects, do you mean all topics in a child project are tagged out at topic level? If not, please clarify.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the index is showing topics that have been filtered out.

Yes, all topics in a child project are tagged at the topic level. Each topic contains a meta tag in the <head> section of the topic.

<meta name="build tags" content="x" />, where x is the name of the CBT.

I have also applied conditional build tag to each index entry also. But, that too did not work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RoboHelp are you using and are all updates applied?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Robohelp 2017 13.0.2.334

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So each project has its topics set with a unique tag and when you generate the whole merge the filter icon shows and according to what the user selects, they see the topics from whichever child projects are selected. Say they select just Child One, the TOC they see will only show the topics for Child One, In the Index though they will still see all the index terms for all the projects. Correct me if that is not the case.

When RoboHelp 2017 Update 2 was issued, the skins were also updated . However, Adobe could not replace what was in existing outputs as it would have resulted in the loss of customisation. I am wondering if your skins were from before that update. If they were, then it maybe that what you need to do is apply the later version of the skin. It is important that you do this by going to the Gallery button in the General settings of your output SSL. Select the layout again from there and give it a new name, you will not be able to save with the same name. There is a page on Adobe's site with layouts but that was never updated so don't use  the layout there.  See if that fixes the problem.

If not, then do all the projects have all the same tags, even if they are not used in that project? I am not sure that is necessary but based on the other thread, it could be.

Beyond that it's difficult to work out what the problem is without seeing the setup. There are simple merged help demos for download on my site. Try it with one of those and see if you get the same result. If you do, you can send me that to look at. I am guessing your merge is too large to share offline but let me know if not.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but not all. It is almost all the index entries with some entries of Child One on the top. It is behaving very strange to explain.

I tried updating the skin but that is having the same issue.

Now, I tried to create a smaller merged project with some index entries in each project. That is working fine. Here is the project:

ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/TempDistrib/ForAdobe/DynamicFiltersIndexTest.7z

It looks very confusing. So, is it because the project with larger index entries is having an issue or there is some problem in the implementation side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is password protected so I cannot view it.

Also I need some specific instructions on what I need to look at and how to access something you say I should not be able to.

Use the Contact page on my site to send the password and instructions.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that.

Password posted but removed by moderator.

If you extract the zip, it contains 4 folders:

In the above project, the filter is working fine. So, I am not sure why it is not working with my actual projects.

I created a video also to see the issue:

ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/TempDistrib/ForAdobe/Index_Filtering_Issue_HTML5.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to the video is in fact a second link to the download and by posting the password here, you have made it available to everyone. I will remove the password after send this reply.

I await the video.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The password has of course been emailed to everyone who follows the forums by email. Nothing I can about that. I suggested you remove the download from your server.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what you have sent, there are neither index terms nor glossary terms. How am I supposed to find out why they are not working for you?

I need something where you have set things up and it is not working.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the index terms in proj_a, proj_b, and proj_c.

I provided the link to the video at 'robohelp@grainge.org'.

The video explains the entire issue in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't in what your download. All the projects are like this.

index.png

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very difficult to analyse a problem like this looking at a video where you are moving around quickly. However, it's clear when you switch at the end to the demo that what you are showing there is not what is in the download. I need a demo that has the indexes in each project.

Go back to your version and set up the keyword ProjectA in project_a, ProjectB in project_b and so on, linking them to any topic in the appropriate project. Then zip that and send it to me.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have sent you an email. I am not sure why you are not able to see the index entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp