Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive HTML5 Layouts TOC Not Synching

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hate to beat this issue further into the ground, but I have tried everything I could think of. This goes back several related issues that were discussed in other posts, but I think this one is probably unique from them. When I try to publish any project using any Responsive HTML5 output, the TOC is not synchronizing up with the displayed topic unless I navigate to the topic from the TOC itself. This is happening with IE11, the latest version of Chrome and Firefox tested on local drive and on hosting network site. I have tried the fix in Item 13 of Using RoboHelp 2017​ which does get the search to work in all the browsers, but seems to maybe have broken the synchronization. I also tried checking all the settings I could think of and the outcome is always the same. In addition, when I test any of the same projects with the WebHelp output, sych works just fine. I am using RH2017, Windows10 with the Adobe supplied patches installed.

Does anyone have thoughts on what else I can try to resolve this?

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

I just thought of something . . . do my Books in the TOC have to be connected to topics in order for the synch to work? I am going to try this first thing tomorrow and post my results.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm aware the aspect of linking books to topics shouldn't make any difference. But it's worth a shot.

In pondering that it did occur to me that perhaps you have topics that appear in more than one book? That can cause sync issues. Then again, I would think they wouldn't work in WebHelp if that was the case.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see this with the Employee Care sample project? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried running an output of the EmployeeCare3 sample project using a newly downloaded copy of the Indigo screen layout and got the same result. Curiously though, I tried the exact same thing on my own personal laptop with a trial version installed and it worked perfectly. With this setup, I also had not applied that fix in Item 13 of Using RoboHelp 2017.

The TOC Books in the sample project also are not connected to topics, so my idea in reply #1 cannot have anything to do with it as Rick suspected.

I am beginning to suspect that something got corrupted with my working version of RoboHelp. Do you think I might need to do a reinstall?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm more inclined to try something else.

The Indigo layout was changed in RoboHelp 2017 Update 2 but applying Update 2 is not sufficient. You also have to select the layout afresh in the responsive layout SSL.

Open the responsive layout and click the Gallery button. Select the layout, In the Name field and add NEW or suchlike without any spacing. Your project will now have the new layout in addition to the old one. The new layout will not have any customisation you may have applied to the old one but you will still have that for reference.

Let us know if that works.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I followed the instructions you gave to refresh the SSL to NEW. I am still getting the same result with the output on my project and the EmployeeCare sample.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tested Employee Care afresh and am seeing issues. Let me check a few things and make some enquiries.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you revert the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking your lead Peter, I decided to get all clever and copied the .js files that were listed in the fix from my home computer. This is the computer that has the trial version of RoboHelp installed. I pasted those files to my work computer that has the issues in an attempt to "roll back" the fix to OEM. To my surprise, that worked even with the Indigo screen layout that I had customized. Everything seems to be working with the output now, Search, TOC sych, display, etc. with IE, Chrome and Firefox. I am going to keep a copy of those files handy in case these type of issues crop up again for me.

Roll_Back_js_OEM.png

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you installed the trial version on your home PC, did you apply Update 2.

If not what you are effectively saying is that things are broken with Update 2, the fix for Update 2 means syncing stops, but if you then apply those files from a machine without Update 2, everything works again. Is that correct?

Have you tested searching on multiple browsers and specifically have you tested functionality on IE?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forget if I loaded the updates with the trial version, can I tell from the About menu? I did check the output on IE11, Chrome and Firefox, all features seem to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check your version by going to File > Help. If you have applied the update it will read 13.0.2.334.

The key things to check are whether search works in IE and TOC syncing works in Firefox, Chrome and IE.

What I am seeing is that if the fix is applied the TOC does not sync but the search does work in IE. Without the fix, the TOC does sync but the search does not work in IE.

Please let us know what you are seeing in what scenario.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I checked and the computer with the trial version did have the two updates from Adobe applied. That computer, however; did not ever have the .js fix copied over to it. With that computer, everything works with the Indigo HTML5 output using all browsers (both synch and search).

With the computer I was having the problem with, it did have the updates installed and before the fix was applied, the Search did not work with IE, but everything worked with Chrome and Firefox. When I applied the fix, the search worked with IE, Chrome and Firefox, but the synch did not work with any browsers. So what you are saying by "if the fix is applied the TOC does not sync but the search does work in IE. Without the fix, the TOC does sync but the search does not work in IE" would be correct for the most part? When I tried to roll back the fix it did not have any effect, however; when I copied over the .js files shown in post #9, both the synch and search works with all browsers now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp