• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rh (11 and 2017) overrides Word (2013 or 2017) Template (dot or .dotm) Page Setup > Layout settings

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Problem: After Rh generates a printed document (SSL - Use Styles from: Microsoft Word Template), it looks as if Rh overrides the document Word Page Setup/Layout settings. (Note: While investigating the issue, this looks like an issue for a long time since it happens in Rh 11 and Rh 2017)

1. Does anyone know of a workaround?
  2. Does this issue hold water, hence, bug report to Adobe?

Expected Results: There should be no blank page after my cover page, TOC, and no blank pages between chapters.

My Rh SSL Advanced Options Settings

Rh_ssl_advanced_options.jpg

My MS Word Template

BEFORE (Settings in my Word Template Layout tab > Page Setup > Layout Tab).                            

Page_Setup_Before.jpg  

AFTER (Settings in my Word Template Layout tab > Page Setup > Layout Tab).    

Page_Setup_After.jpg

CURRENT OUTPUT

current_output.jpg

EXPECTED OUTPUT (Below, shows after when I manually change back to my settings that I have previously saved in my Template.)

expected_output.jpg

Thank You!

~~PM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

After some offline exchanges we established that the blank pages are somehow coming from Robopm's template when it runs some macros after generating the document. So whilst the section settings are getting changed that is not impacting the output.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not yet deleted the copy of your project so I looked at your settings. I see you are not using the new print options to apply different headers and footers and use your own cover page etc. See the RoboHelp Tour for information on that. The link will take you to the relevant page.

I am not saying it will fix the problem but you would need to try that before reporting a bug. I haven't checked it is happening to me.

I recall having some odd results that were fixed by removing a small image that was apparently not doing anything that would cause a blank page to appear. Styles that have Page Break Before could possibly cause issues. Different Front Page is also worth disabling to test.

Very difficult to track this sort of thing and probably a lot less time changing the settings than finding the cause.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using your flexi template, it is changing New Page to Odd page but it is not giving me any blank pages!

If you send the document to a printer, do you get blank pages then?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see it in Print Preview, like the screenshots above. I can also see them (blank pages) after saving the file to PDF, which is the media the customer receives (PDF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an oddity to this (why you're not seeing blank pages (e.g. some projects get a blank page after the TOC page). I guess the point is, putting aside any customization, you're seeing that Rh is changing the Page Setup.

Do you still have my CT project? If not, I can send it to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POST 3 in thread

New print setup would deal with those issues.

POST 4 in thread

Not the same thing but I was thinking of a Word issue that further digging suggests no longer occurs.

POST 5 in thread

The project I had was designated AP. Send me latest anyway and tell me which Print Output will show give blank pages.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After some offline exchanges we established that the blank pages are somehow coming from Robopm's template when it runs some macros after generating the document. So whilst the section settings are getting changed that is not impacting the output.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for chiming in... The end results I posted are a snapshot after Rh generation (before running any macros).

Yes, I am well aware of the capability of the multiple footers feature Rh provides (Rh11 and up), however, I haven't had the ample time to toy with it. All the Styles/macros I have now meet the requirements of the customer. The reason for some of the macros are as follows:

1. I am unable to carry across a 'cover border' from Rh cover page into Word doc, hence, had to create a macro to perform this.
  2. Recall the Page Number on that was appearing on the cover page in Word cover page, I have a macro that addresses that.

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp