• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 11 Version Control with Sharepoint Not Restricting Project Access; Only Topic Access

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help please. What am I doing wrong?

We have RH11 and publish output as webhelp. Someone in the company gave me permission for a sharepoint site so I could implement version control, but we are having all sorts of trouble. I am not a sharepoint user, so I'm fumbling in the dark. My RH and Doc-To-Help version control experience is based on using a system someone else has already created for me.

I thought this would be easy and sold my team on the idea, but now team members are overwriting each other all the time. We cannot seem to lock a project so that no one else can edit/overwrite. We get messages on a topic level that we do not have permission to work on them, but we want the entire project to be locked. Also, another team member keeps opening files from SharePoint site instead of from their local drive.

Where is detailed information on best practices for setting up and using RH version control system with SharePoint? Are there options I need to turn on or off? Are there options on the Sharepoint side I should turn on or off? I need more hand-holding than I've found - thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

If I understand correctly, you want to lock the entire project and want to avoid overwriting one anothers changes, right?

For locking the project, click 'Check out all' in the Collaboration tab in the Ribbon. This will check out the entire project exclusively to you. So no one can make any changes.

For overwriting changes, this probably happens because authors have outdated versions on their desktop. The easiest way around this (especially effective as you will be checking out the entire project)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would suggest the following article by Willam van Weelden as a good starting place for information on RoboHelp and SharePoint.

https://www.wvanweelden.eu/blog/2013/08/17/adobe-robohelp-using-sharepoint-version-control

Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have followed these steps and my teammate is still able to open a project file that I have already opened. Why is the project not locked?

ELLEN BITTNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ellen

You may want to click the Edit link and remove your phone number as that might cause unwanted "spam" for you.

Meanwhile, you can send a private message to Willam. For example, go to this post and click on Willam's profile link.

Re: How to setup SharePoint for publishing from RoboHelp 10?

John

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed the phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, you want to lock the entire project and want to avoid overwriting one anothers changes, right?

For locking the project, click 'Check out all' in the Collaboration tab in the Ribbon. This will check out the entire project exclusively to you. So no one can make any changes.

For overwriting changes, this probably happens because authors have outdated versions on their desktop. The easiest way around this (especially effective as you will be checking out the entire project) is by setting 2 options:

1. In the options under Version Control, check the option to always get the latest version of a project before opening. This way, whenever you open a project, you will always have the latest version and won't overwrite one anothers content.
  2. In the options, check 'Clear CPD before opening project' to make sure you will nave have old stuff in your local cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another basic question: My teammate added project to version control per RH instructions. We see it showed up in SharePoint Library. We also understand that we need to work on our local drives. When I open the same project on my local drive, it does not recognize that it is now a shared project from Sharepoint. The Collaborate ribbon is all gray except for Add to Version Control. I don't want to add. I want to open the versioned project. I hoped that when I opened Robohelp, it would have an option directing me to Versioned projects or something obvious, but I'm not seeing it. What am I doing wrong? How do I let my project know that it is now a versioned project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you download the project from SharePoint? That sometimes gives problems. Try copying the local project from your colleagues' computer and open that. It should work then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp