• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2015 - Cannot open RH Project File - RH hangs

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who is having trouble with the RoboHelp 2015 Project File. It appears that something has been corrupted.  I have received the Project Files and the same thing has happened to on my laptop. Are there files that I can remove that would help resolve this situation? Something like this happened to me a long time ago and I thought I was able to remove one of the files and RoboHelp rebuilt the file when I reopened it. For the life of me I can't remember what it was. Here's the steps that I can reproduce again and again:

1. Launch RoboHelp

2. Click File > Open Project

3. Navigate to Project File Location
4. Select RoboHelp HTML Project File

5. RoboHelp starts to open the File. The cursor goes into a loading spin, appearing like it is trying to load the files. But does nothing. Client has left it running for hours but nothing changes.

6.  Then this appears

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

This thread suggests deleting the rhfontset.apj file - RH should recreate the file when you open the project. It will be in the same folder as the xpj and cpd files.

Errors when opening a RH project.

Perhaps rename it initially to see if it helps - if you have created custom font sets you may need to recreate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps try deleting the CPD?

If you aren't sure how to do that, I've got a handy video that will show you how.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. It was the CPD file that I was thinking of. I deleted the CPD file in the Project Folder, then tried to open the Project File. Here are the error messages that I am getting when I try to open the project. These are in the order that I see them:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I would suggest to try would be to create the following folder:

C:\Projects\ITSM_Online_User_Guide

Then copy the project to this folder and try opening it from there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. I did as you suggested and moved it to c:\Projects\assyst_Guide.

I got the same error messages as before.

However, I've noticed a couple of things:

1. The original CPD file was 11,972 KB in size. The one that I keep getting an error on is 892.

I had an earlier version of the CPD (August 2016)... would it work if I copied it into the latest version that I keep getting errors on?

2. There is an assyst Guide folder under the first one and it looks like a complete RoboHelp project. Could that have corrupted things?

3. The first error message starts with assyst_Guide\rhfontset.apj> <1>

I don't really know what that means or where to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPD file is simply what is known as a "Cache Database" file. Basically, it's a Microsoft Access Database file using a custom file extension. While RoboHelp accesses it and will use it, if it is missing when the project loads, RoboHelp will create a fresh one for you as part of the loading process.

Recent versions of RoboHelp store the project in many files. Many of these are XML files. The main database file bears a file extension of .XPJ. Inside that file are references to other XML files. One of these is named rhfontset.apj.

From what I'm seeing of the messages, it would seem you either haven't been successful in copying everything to the folder that was mentioned, or you have some files that are munged somewhere. Certainly the fact that you are reporting seeing duplicate project files is suspect.

Have you tried navigating to the folder where the duplicate files live and opening the project from there?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explaining the CPD. I had also thought of opening the duplicate set of files (discovered that it is from an earlier version of RoboHelp). I did try to open the duplicate files and got the same set of errors.

I have successfully opened the August version of the RoboHelp Project Files that I helped them with this summer. I'm not sure what you mean by files that are munged somewhere.

I tried to remove the duplicate set of files but I got an error even thought I have closed everything. I may have to reboot and remove it then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread suggests deleting the rhfontset.apj file - RH should recreate the file when you open the project. It will be in the same folder as the xpj and cpd files.

Errors when opening a RH project.

Perhaps rename it initially to see if it helps - if you have created custom font sets you may need to recreate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your help (Rick and Amerbr). I viewed the Errors when opening a RH project link in Amebr's answer.

Please note that in RH 2015 the location of the Option referenced in her answer is now here: File > Options. I checked the checkbox next to Clear project cache (CPD file) before opening any project.

However, I got the rhfontset.apj error when I tried to open the Project File. As suggested, I deleted the rhfontset.apj file and reopened the project file. Everything opened the way it should.

Thank you so much for your help. My client will be very happy when I send instructions on how to solve the problem.

I truly appreciate your expertise in the Community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp