• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2015 Loses Conditional Build Tags During Upgrade from RH11

Explorer ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use conditional build tags to block internal corporate information from external websites, and vice versa. I've upgraded from and to numerous versions of Robohelp over the years, but never had this happen before.

When I open a project, the conditional build tags are still in the project, but they no longer display in the Conditional Build Expression dialog in the Content Categories tab. I have to manually reapply them again in multiple single source layouts. for each project.

I have something like 45 projects, each with multiple single source layouts, and a whole lot of conditional build tags to sort through. What is the quick fix for this? Are they aware that this happened?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m hoping you have a backup of the RH11 projects (right?)

If so, make sure you’re totally patched up & try upgrading them again.

Random thought – any source control at play?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a backup of the projects - I even have a backup of RH11, but it freezes when I try to open it, so there's a conflict with RH15 so I can't (unfortunately) revert back to it.

They just purchased and installed Technical Communications Suite yesterday or the day before - new version. If there were any patches, they'd come with it, right?

Not sure what you mean by source control. Could you please explain?

Also, this is like Day 1 of me using it, and I already found another problem. When you insert shapes in Word and import the document into Robohelp, the shapes are supposed to retain their position - they did this in earlier versions. The arrow pointed to the correct thing, in other words.

Now the arrows are all over the place - I have no control over where they land, and no time to sit and figure it out. Is this a known issue? Any way to report it?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you applied all the patches? If not do so and see if they appear. If

not, get another copy of the RoboHelp 11 project and upgrade with the

patches in place.

Also have you tried the old trick of deleting the CPD file and reopening

the project.

I'm not too hopeful of those ideas but we have to start somewhere.

Post back. It will likely be tomorrow before I can look in again.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT just installed all patches, so I upgraded another project from RH11 to RH15, and the problem is still there. This project has eight single source layouts, and none of them picked up any of the conditional build expressions.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But are the CBTs present in (or on the topics?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they're all there. They just display differently in the new version as horizontal lines instead of a crosshatch highlight.

They're also in the single source layout. They just don't appear as they're supposed to in the Conditional Build Expression field, which always displays "(None)", so none of them are being applied to the topics. I learned this by (gasp) seeing the wrong things display in the wrong place, and a little bit of sleuthing brought me to that Conditional Build Expression field. It isn't carrying over during the upgrade process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's yet another thing I uncovered. You can't pin RH15 to your taskbar. You can try (and try and try) in multiple different ways, but it never sticks. No problem pinning it to the Start menu, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PINNING TO TASKBAR

it's just fine on two Windows 10 machines here and I have seen it on others. How are you adding it to the taskbar and what operating system are you on?

BUILD EXPRESSIONS

You say you are having to reapply them. Are the expressions still in the dropdown and you are having to select the correct one or have the expressions disappeared from the dropdown and you are having to recreate them?

Are you able to share one of the RoboHelp 11 projects so that I can upgrade it and see what happens? See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

WORD

You must be the first person who has got such images to import correctly in any version. It has always been the case that they go all over the place.

DOWNLOADS

I would hope the downloads include the patches but I'm not sure. Check in File > Help to see your version.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The imported Word images "go all over the place" when you view the raw topic in Robohelp. But once you display it in a browser, they fall into place perfectly. Always have, at least back to RH5 or 6. Until now.

The expressions are still in the dropdown, but the Conditional Build Expression field defaults to (None), no matter what was in it pre-upgrade. I have to go in and manually select the correct tag from the dropdown after the upgrade. Now I know to do this - before I was just generating and publishing without checking because I assumed all was well. Gasp!

All the conditional build tags are in place on the topics, the books, and the content within the topics. Everything is as it should be, except that the existing Conditional Build Expression setting doesn't carry over in the upgrade process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting that the Word images come together on the server.

Did you check your version of RoboHelp? I think you are assuming the download came with all patches and whilst maybe it should, given you have a problem I would be checking.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pinning - that's an old Windows issue caused by the application using a "restricted" word (help) - there's a couple of different hacks out there for getting around it - this one (Application that won’t Pin to Taskbar in Windows 7 - Rick Strahl's Web Log ) looks at the Registry entry; there's another way of creating a folder that holds the shortcuts & that's what gets pinned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff The original cause is because Microsoft deliberately stopped anything with Help in the wording to appear in the Start menu. The solution was to rename it to something like Adobe RH. However, in Windows 10 both the Start Menu and the Task Bar are showing Rh with no tweaking on my part.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp