• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2017 project loading slowly. Is it the size of the project or the size of my drop down text items

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people

Over recent weeks my project has begun to load very slowly. A few times it's taken 10-15 minutes with the small blue circle "system busy" icon not even spinning round, before the project has opened.

The project is stored on my local machine which has 16Gb RAM and 300GB free memory on disk, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Im a bit concerned as the help system is only about 1/3 complete. Is there an upper limit for the size of RH projects and if so what can I do to manage the problem?

Recently I have begun using drop-down text boxes quite extensively. Initially these were only used for small field / description type tables. But as additional sub-screens have been added to the product I have relied on them increasingly to shoehorn the new information into existing topics without altering the structure of the help (in the form of dropdowns labelled "more info" and similar, to display the additional info for those who need it). Some of these drop downs are now quite large and contain a number of icon and button type graphics. Could  this be the reason my load times have increased massively in recent weeks? If this is the cause of my problem I guess I'll have to review the structure of my help system and put the new info into topics rather than drop down text boxes. I thought I'd check here first as this exercise would entail a lot of work and I'm pushed for time as it is.

Any advice / guidance would be much appreciated.

Regards

jv 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try deleting the cpd file. It can get super large and deleting it forces RH to create a fresh, small one. There's a setting called "Clear project cache (cpd file) before opening any project", which does this automatically.

Do take a zipped backup of your project first, just in case.

Another thing to look at is if IT security has made any changes to your antivirus. If it's scanning all your files all the time it could cause a slowdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks a lot Amebr That has reduced my startup time back to around a minute. The last time I tried before changing the setting was 10 minutes. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp