Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2019.12: Continue Numbering At

Enthusiast ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is RH 2019.12, new UI.

Like everyone else, I can't get the Properties>General tab's "Restart/Continue Numbering At" element to reliably appear.

So at this point, I'd rather just manually insert the HTML and specify the number to continue with, in the code. That, I can reliably - and intuitively - do. So, what's the HTML code to "continue numbering" for a numbered list in a topic?

This was so much easier in RH 2017. Would love to see Adobe address the issue in RH 2019/2020.

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Thanks, Peter. 

The trick, if you use a CSS style for numbered lists - and this may be where everyone is getting hung up, is that you have to use RoboHelp's generic list function/button (at the top of the application) to create the list FIRST, and THEN apply your list style from your CSS.

If you create numbered lists by simply applying a list style from your CSS (that is, you never use the RoboHelp application's numbered list button), then you'll never see the restart numbering element. 

Finally

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is already a thread with the answer and a video.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. 

The trick, if you use a CSS style for numbered lists - and this may be where everyone is getting hung up, is that you have to use RoboHelp's generic list function/button (at the top of the application) to create the list FIRST, and THEN apply your list style from your CSS.

If you create numbered lists by simply applying a list style from your CSS (that is, you never use the RoboHelp application's numbered list button), then you'll never see the restart numbering element. 

Finally, to answer my initial question, here's the HTML for restart numbering (where "task" is the name of my CSS numbered list style):

<p> </p>
<ol class="task">
<li>
<p>This step will be auto-formatted as step 1 in the WYSIWYG view/output.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p>This step will be auto-formatted as step 2 in the WYSIWYG view/output.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p>This step will be auto-formatted as step 3 in the WYSIWYG view/output.</p>
</li>
<ol class="task">
<li style="counter-reset: item1 23;" value="24">This step will be formatted/displayed as step 24 in the WYSIWYG view.</li>
</ol>
<p> </p>

This is what the WYSIWYG view/output will look like:

1. This step will be auto-formatted as step 1 in the WYSIWYG view/output.

2. This step will be auto-formatted as step 2 in the WYSIWYG view/output.

3. This step will be auto-formatted as step 3 in the WYSIWYG view/output.

24. This step will be formatted/displayed as step 24 in the WYSIWYG view/output.

Parsing the reset code:

• "counter-reset: item1 23;is the number/value immediately preceding (23 in this example) the number/value you want displayed (24 in this example - see below).
  • value="24" is the number/value you want displayed for the step.

Important: BOTH values must be specified correctly, or your step won't be numbered properly in the WYSIWYG view or output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I am not finding that. I just created a brand new project and left the first topic linked to the supplied default.css.

I typed in

Item

Then I went to the Styles and selected OL. That gave me

1. Item

I added a second item and pressed Enter twice, then entered a normal paragraph.

Then I typed Item in a fresh line, went to Styles and selected OL again. It showed as 

1. Item but with the Restart Numbering field shown in the General tab.

I am wondering if it is something about a pre-existing CSS. I'm happy to try with your CSS if you want to attach it to an email to me. See my Contact page.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have discussed this with Adobe and they have raised a bug. Meantime there is an easier way to get the Restart Numbering field to appear.

Start the second list and then look at the breadcrumbs above the topic and click LI.

Please try that and post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp