Highlighted

RH 2019 does not synch from source Word file to the Project file

Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When (in a RH2019 project) I edit a LINKED Word file in the source and then go back to RoboHelp 2019 and try to "update" the file by synching from Source to Project, it does not update. It updates neither the TITLE nor the CONTENT of the Word file. Is this a reported bug? What should I do for proper synching ? Thanks, Ugur

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RH 2019 does not synch from source Word file to the Project file

Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When (in a RH2019 project) I edit a LINKED Word file in the source and then go back to RoboHelp 2019 and try to "update" the file by synching from Source to Project, it does not update. It updates neither the TITLE nor the CONTENT of the Word file. Is this a reported bug? What should I do for proper synching ? Thanks, Ugur

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 25, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially I was going to post that I found the same but I tried a few things and got it to work.

Put focus on the document in the Contents panel. The menu has Sync (Source to Project) and Update HTML. Use those in that order.

Then go to the folder with the same name as your document and open the HTM file that is there. Again click Sync (Source to Project). For me that then updated.

I would agree it seems three clicks are needed where one should do but try it and post back.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter thanks a lot but Adobe support team has confirmed that, as of this writing, RH 2019 does not support Word (Office) 365 updating and that's why it will not synch between Word 365 source files and RH topics. I think the Word synching will be supported in the next patch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2018 0
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can link but not update. Hmm!

@petergrainge

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi uakinci​,

If you bring in the Word content in RH, either by importing or converting to HTML when linked, and edit the HTML topic in RH there is no way to sync it back to Word document. Sync feature in RH is based on timestamp and sync from project to source or source to project is essentially file copy, content doesn't get converted from one format to the other. It will work well for those file formats which you can edit in RH also directly, e.g. HTML, CSS and JavaScript files.

For update 5, early Feb, we are working on Word as an output format which may work for you. However it will be available in the Output Presets along with other formats and not from the Sync feature.

Hope the clarification helps.

Thanks,

Vivek

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2018 0
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vivek I read the original post as Uakinci having edited the Word file in Word (the source) rather than Source in RoboHelp.

I just made a change in Word to a linked document and then went back to RoboHelp. The document showed as dirty (red arrow next to it). I then clicked the Update HTML option in the context menu. I then opened the topic in RoboHelp and it was updated.

In my previous reply, I had erroneously looked that the Sync options rather then Update HTML.

So as far as I can see, linked documents do update and Adobe Support gave the wrong information. Uakinci stated, "Adobe support team has confirmed that, as of this writing, RH 2019 does not support Word (Office) 365 updating and that's why it will not synch between Word 365 source files and RH topics." I am using Office 365 and syncing does work. The issue is why it is not for the poster.

I think that may be because he has fallen into the same trap as me and seen the Sync options rather than the Update HTML.

@petergrainge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2018 0
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Sync should read Sync Folder to make it clearer? It's still open to misinterpretation but less so.

@petergrainge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2018 0