Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(RH 2019, new UI) Master page doesn't seem to do anything

Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

In RH 2019, new UI, I may be misunderstanding what a Master Page is for. But I've created one, hoping to apply it to all topics and have each topic take on the layout specified in the Master Page. But when I apply the Master Page to a topic, nothing happens.

Here's my Master Page (screenshot). Its main feature is a two-column layout in the body and the header:

master page 201028.PNG

But, I apply it to an existing topic, and the topic does not change, at all (screenshot):

master page 201028 B.PNG

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Master pages do not affect the body, except when you create a new topic and select the master page in the topic creation dialog box.

That's just how Adobe built them.

Here's my thought experiment. I have a topic with a heading, 2 paragraphs, an image, two more paragraphs and another image.  Maybe I want all the text in the left side and the images in the right. Or maybe I want the first two paragraphs and first image in the first column, and the second two paragraphs and second image in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS:  I've now generated output, and there is some evidence that the Master Page has an effect. The "h1 header" placeholder does appear in the output. And it's laid out in two columns (screenshot). But there seems no change to the body.  

Thank you!

master page 201028 C.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For existing topics, you will only see an effect in the output for header and footer content in the master page. The body of the topic will not be affected.

If you create a new topic from a master page, initially the content in the body of the master page will be copied to the new topic. However there is no link back to the master page, so if you later change the master page, the existing topics will not update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for for that explanation, Amber. Good to know.

What I'm still unclear about is why the master page has no affect on the body after generating output? 

I've configured the master page with a two-column layout for both the body and the header (using a two-cell table😞

master page 201028.PNG

But the output doesn't reflect the two-column layout in the body. (It does show in the header):  

master page 201028 C.PNG

Do tables not work in master page bodies? 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master pages do not affect the body, except when you create a new topic and select the master page in the topic creation dialog box.

That's just how Adobe built them.

Here's my thought experiment. I have a topic with a heading, 2 paragraphs, an image, two more paragraphs and another image.  Maybe I want all the text in the left side and the images in the right. Or maybe I want the first two paragraphs and first image in the first column, and the second two paragraphs and second image in the second column? How is Robohelp going to know which layout I want? In the case where I decide to place all the images in column two, if I later remove the table from the master page, where do the images go? Do the images all get lumped at the bottom of the topic? What if I want one to go after paragraph one and one after paragraph 3? Or after paragraphs 2 and 4? Again, how can RH know what layout I intend for my existing content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, okay! Then I will use a Master Page only to CREATE topics. That will save at least some configuration work. Thank you, Amber!

Also, I'm following you in the thought experiment. But I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from it. Can you please spell out what conclusion it leads you to?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I conclude there is no satisfactory way for structural changes to the master page to affect the body of existing topics, because it can't read minds. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I get it. Yes, that makes sense, thanks.

I'm going to start a new thread b/c this makes me realize a new way to ask my question. 

Thanks, Amber!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp