• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2020/Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2020 - linking TOCs between projects

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Robohelp 2020 to produce html output. My colleague uses Adobe Framemaker and Adobe Technical Communication suite 2020 to product HTML output. (I am not really familiar with the Adobe Technical Communication Suite? Is that essentially RH 2020?  Can I add my content to my colleagues project so that my content can be included in my colleagues HTML output? In other words, is it possible from a project in Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2020 to link to a toc from a RH 2020 project? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - Framemaker is a long-form document authoring tool. It came out of the book publishing industry & produces excellent PDFs (as a strength). One of the more recent outputs is HTML - it used to be only possible to import or link (using the TCS) FM content to a RH project and create HTML from RH. The newer versions of FM have now started to incorporate the "guts" of RH into FM "under the hood" to be able to produce HTML5 output by itself.
There's no RH to FM route - only by copy/paste or RH > Word > FM or RH > PDF > FM & fixing up the formating would that work. It all depends on where (& how) you want to author and produce output. For example, for one of my projects where good PDFs are still desired (for offline help), I author in FM and import FM content into RH and create HTML5 in there. In another project, I author solely in RH and create HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how does RH create HTML with content from a FrameMaker file? Don't you just have an RH project essentially? So you cant have content from FrameMaker files and content from html files created in RH 2020 in the same project? Is that what we are saying essentially?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go the FM to RH route, you create a RH project that acts as a container for the FM content that populates it - either by import (a one-time thing; if the FM source changes, you have to create a new RH project & import again) or by linking (a "perpetual" RH project that detects and "scoops up" any changes in the source FM content).

Depending on how your content and the FM author's content worked together, you could go the route of creating merged projects in RH  (one project from your RH content & one from their imported/linked FM content) OR you could both create HTML5 output and then tinker with it to link to each other afterwards outside of either product. YMMV 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp