Highlighted

RH 2020: any way to easily rebuild the index?

Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been moving chapters and topics around to better organize a book. When I checked a published PDF, the index pages are now out of order (for example, for an index term: 256, 25,190, 20, 22, 26, 80, 15,...).

Will I need to create a new index from scratch or is there a way to rebuild the existing index so that page numbers for each index term are reorganized and in ascending order?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RH 2020: any way to easily rebuild the index?

Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been moving chapters and topics around to better organize a book. When I checked a published PDF, the index pages are now out of order (for example, for an index term: 256, 25,190, 20, 22, 26, 80, 15,...).

Will I need to create a new index from scratch or is there a way to rebuild the existing index so that page numbers for each index term are reorganized and in ascending order?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The index terms are whatever you created and they are linked to topics. Moving chapters and books does nothing to the index, that is nothing to do with the TOC, topic titles and file names. You must have changed something besides just moving them around in the TOC.

Can you show a screenshot of where things are messed up?

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot for Index from published PDF attached. (If you need a different screenshot, let me know.)

Capture1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! I am trying to find out what dictates the order. I will get back to you as soon as I hear back.

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I thought that this out-of-order issue may be caused by the out-of-order items being part of front- or back-matter. But further investigation shows that entries in the main body of the chapters and topics are also out-of-order. What it does correspond to is topic name alphabetical order. So, I tried to change this order in an index entry, but, even when moved up or down, it reverts to alphabetical even though these are not ascending by page number. Moving doesn't stay moved into correct ascending (by page number) order.

screenshot of index entry COVID-19 (see also previous screenshot in posting above).

Preface is page 4 and so in ascending page order should appear first.

Capture2.jpg

If this can be reproduced, verified, it would need to be fixed so that the index is built using ascending page numbers (or atleast an option for this). What do you think?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it seems logical that the page numbers should be in order. They clearly do not but I can't think of a good reason so I have made enquiries. Until I get a reply, there's nothing more I can add.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0