• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2020: Generating two separate indexes?

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thanks to all who have already provided answers to my beginner questions.  I am nearing the end of my project. But one question remains.

Basically I have two manuals: a reference manual, and a separate manual for Python scripting commands. They are both in the same TOC, with their HTML content generated in their own folders and subfolders.

I want both of them to be generated together for the HTML version, so that they both appear in the left TOC pane.

But then I want each manual (Reference, and Python) to be generated as their own PDF, with their own separate indexes.

From what I can see at this point, the index entries are not showing up separately, they are all combined into a single index. Will I need to rearrange my project somehow so that I can accomplish both outputs for HTML, and separate outputs for PDF?

I hope this question makes sense.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only have one index in an output.

For frameless and responsive outputs you can use Dynamic Content Filtering as described in the About RoboHelp sample project. That would allow the user to select one type of topic (Reference or Python) and then the search, index and so on filter.

When you generate for online use you would select the filter you have set up. The output will contain all the topics but the user can filter them. You can also set things up so that the help opens with one of the filters already applied. I am thinking it would open to show only the reference topics but allow the user to access the python topics.

You can't do that for PDFs so you would have to produce separate manuals. The tags you will have set up for online filtering can then be used for creating expressions to produce the separate PDFs.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply Peter.  I suspected as much and that is the way I currently have it set up.

So allow me to look at this another way. Let's say I divide the current single project into two individual projects, for the PDF version. Would there be a way to combine those two projects into one for the HTML output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify further. If I put the Reference manual in one project, and the Python manual in another project, each with their own indexes. Generate PDFs with that.

But then, combine both of those "books" into a single HTML project that uses the same "wrapper" and the TOCs for both appear in the TOC panel.

So sorry for the repeated questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, keep the one project.

Create tags named Python and Reference. Apply those tags to the respective topics.

For an output with everything, just go ahead and generate. When you want separate outputs such as PDF:-

• When you generate Reference create an expression NOT Python. You will then have an output with only Reference topics.
  • For the Python output you would create an expression NOT Reference.

Set a simple project with say two topics to test it if not sure. Splitting the project is unnecessary.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK got it. Thanks again Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp