• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2020 - how to get a perfect pdf or word output when starting a fresh

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an online help and few chapters from the help will also be used in a training guide.

We are generating a Word document from RH 2020.

What is the best way to use a word template? Any best practice or suggestion here?

I tried adding a cover page but it did not show up in the output.

Some outputs came out correctly but after I supplied our custom word template now it gives me an error saying Failed to generate printed documentation layout.

any tips on bext way to use RH for a clean PDF or Word output so that the manual effort after the word generation is minimal?

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, the PDF output requires a lot less manual effort than the Word output, especially with regards to images and tables. I usually create my PDFs like this:

- create different master pages for all front matter topics (Cover, TOC) and content pages, using different headers and footers

- create cover page in RH as I want it 

- adjust the necessary styles in the "book" css

- assign my usual css and the book css to all master pages I use in the output

- create the PDF using the advanced setting "embed used fonts"

Thats basically how I do it. For me, this works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a tutorial for both the Word and the PDF outputs. You can view it from my site and also download a demo project to play with.

https://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/printing/printing.htm

It's also worth taking a look at the Word Output and PDF Output topics in the About RoboHelp sample project.

I hestitate about saying you can get a perfect document from either as page breaks, table splits and suchlike are near impossible. What you can do is get something as close as possible. That is why I always favour the Word output as with a few macros and a few minutes work, you can tweak it and then create your PDF.

That said, a lot of work has been done to improve the PDF output. It is all going to depend on your content.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a scenario where:

I have 15 topics in the help. All 15 topics are part of a Responsive HTML5 online help. They use the onlinehelp masterpage.

All these 15 topics also need to be part of (shared for) printed documentation (word). When I pull them in the printed output toc, the master page applied to online help is still applicable.

The onlinehelp masterpage doesn't have page numbers in the footer. So when I output word, the output shows up without page numbers.

I created a different master page for printed output to be used with the printed output toc. But how do I apply it to the shared topics?

We want shared topics to show in the help without footer/page numbers and in the word output with footer/page numbers.

Any pointers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Master page headers and footers do not make it to Word. It's explained in Word Output (grainge.org) and the link above.

Online your output will use the masterpage defined for the topics and that seems to be working. For Word your header and footer need to come from a Word template.

The output is less configurable than in Classic and I have raised a number of issues with Adobe. For now though I have documented how it does work.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp