RH editors overwrite notepad.exe css

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 11 Webhelp

Thank you

Problem

I installed custom fonts and they mostly work. One topic didn't display correctly, so I tried to tweak the new font code using the RH css editor and then the HTML Editor. However, these attempts overwrote the notepad.exe css, such as removing font names. It seems like using notepad.exe is the only way to add additional code to the css (shown in step 5). How can I straighten things out?

Here are the steps leading up to the problem

1. Downloaded and extracted the google fonts.

2. Double-clicked each font separately and installed it to the computer.

3. Added each font family as a baggage file.

4. Using notepad.exe, edited the css fonts.

5.  Added this code to notepad.exe css to fix a Chrome bug that prevented displaying the new fonts:

@-webkit-keyframes fontfix {

};

body {

font-family: Roboto;

font-size: 11px;

color: #000000;

margin: 10px 16px auto;

}

body {

-webkit-animation-delay: 0.1s;

-webkit-animation-name: fontfix;

-webkit-animation-duration: 0.1s;

-webkit-animation-iteration-count: 1;

-webkit-animation-timing-function: linear;

}

to {

opacity: 1;

}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

I agree that the File Association should work differently. I've always felt that double-clicking a CSS should open it using what you specify here.

In my experience, what you configure here is used when you right-click the CSS in the Project Manager and choose to View.

One way to ensure that you end up with what you want is to maintain a separate copy of the CSS file and specify it in the Single Source Layout recipe.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it's possible to set a file association for css, it doesn't seem to apply (double-click still uses the RH style editor). You could raise a bug report using the link on the right-side of the Overview page of the forum.

I normally edit using the in-built HTML editor using right-click > Edit With > HTML Editor. This shouldn't make any changes to your stylesheet that you don't manually enter. However, if you accidentally double-click on your stylesheet and open the Styles dialog box, then RH will play around with your styles. Mostly just breaking up @media sections into individual definitions. But I can imagine that some of the more advanced features, like your font fix stuff, may be removed because RH doesn't understand it.

Having said that, there is a new version out which you could check to see if changes have been made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the File Association should work differently. I've always felt that double-clicking a CSS should open it using what you specify here.

In my experience, what you configure here is used when you right-click the CSS in the Project Manager and choose to View.

One way to ensure that you end up with what you want is to maintain a separate copy of the CSS file and specify it in the Single Source Layout recipe.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! I never, ever thought of using View!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add: RoboHelp doesn't like too advanced CSS. Even if you create it with Notepad, RoboHelp may rewrite some CSS anyway (such as ::before, vendor prefixes). RH2015 does a much better job at keeping your CSS intact but even then it will break up combined selectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp