Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH generates invalid file names containing special characters

Jul 03, 2008 Jul 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Framemaker import fails to produce valid file names in my project. Independent of the setting unter Tools > Options > "Use underscores in filenames", RoboHelp always produces filenames that include quotation marks and Umlauts. French accents also turn up in the file names. As a result, the webhelp output cannot be viewed on the server. Manually editing all topic file names is inacceptable due to the mass and would be the end of the single-source work flow.

Is there a way to force RH to generate valid file names without special characters? It seems absolutely necessary that such a function is present because the titles of imported documents are likeley to contain special characters, such as accents, quotes etc. which must not be used in the generated file names.

BTW, at the same time it would be desireable to get topic titles without underscores because this is what the user sees when he uses the search function of the help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder whether this forum is attended by Adobe employees. Our problems with invalid characters in file names is evidently a bug:

1. Chapter titles are likeley to contain quotes as well as accents and Umlauts which are a normal part of foreign alphabets.

2. RoboHelp replaces SOME special characters with underscors (e.g. slashes, colans) which shows that it HAS been understood that file names should not contain them. It is only SOME special characters that appear in the file names.

3. A related problem: The topic titles are always identical with the file names, thus they contain underscrores in the same way too. But as the end user sees the topic titles in the search dialogs, it is evident that characters and blanks should NOT be replaced with underscores in the titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2008 Jul 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Robert,

Could you please send us a list of those special characters(are they French or German?), which are not replaced with underscores in RH?

Thanks,
Pooja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2008 Jul 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pooja,

from what I saw, these were German umlauts (ä,ö,ü), the colon (:), I think brackets created problems too and I do not remember the type but a French accent appeared too and caused problems. As we are in betatesting for RH 8 since yeaterday, I will do a more systematic test and report formally. Who knows maybe the problem was even corrected already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The macron: Ä“

The name of the software developed by my company includes a macron, so there is no way I can strip it out of our Word docs before linking in RH. If I change the default filename pattern to docName-X, the topic name also changes to docName-X; topic names show up in search results and I can't have my users seeing topic names that have no relation to the topic. I've spent almost 3 days trying to resolve this issue. Why can't RH strip the special characters out of the filenames and leave everything else (topic names, index and TOC entries) alone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post was marked as Correct Answer but it was not an answer so I have unmarked it.

When you enter a topic title, RoboHelp automatically defaults that name into the File Name field. However you can change it to something else. That does not automatically then change the Topic Title. Should you then change the Topic Title before saving it will default the file name to the same but only when you create the topic. Thereafter the two are independant. The Topic Heading will default to the Topic Title but again that can be changed. So provided the Topic Title and Topic Heading and Topic Title will accept your characters you should be OK.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If only RH 11 would allow users to change the File Name or the Topic Title of the HTML files generated by linked Word documents! However both fields are greyed out and can't be edited. The issue is unique to IIS - other web servers will open file names with special characters. There is a server-side work-around (https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/CannotOpenAFileHavingSpecialCharactersInTheFilenameOnI...) but our SysAdmin says that it's too great of a security risk. I discussed this issue for half an hour with Deep from TCS support last week (July 2016) and he couldn't find a work around either. If I import the word doc instead of link then I can change whatever I want, but the document changes too often to import.

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/CannotOpenAFileHavingSpecialCharactersInTheFilenameOnI...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's helpful to post that here so that others see the outcome but have you submitted a Feature Request to get it on the radar?

Please follow this link to request new features.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authorin'g information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp