• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH HTML: File Missing from Topic List Pod

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in RH HTML along with a co-worker on separate workstations but using a CMS. We basically check out all RH files to a local folder and check them back into the CMS for storage/backup.

My co-worker changed a topic name (with its HTML filename) in RH (via Topic Properties) and uploaded it to the CMS. When I downloaded the file (with the new filename) from the CMS to my local RH folder, the following occurred when I tried to insert a link from another topic to the (new) topic:

1) The Hyperlink dialog box still had the old topic name but when I clicked on it the Preview pane remained blank.

2) The new topic did not appear at all in either the Hyperlink dialog box nor the Topic List pod.

I imported the file/topic using File > Import, which solved the problem. But I seem to remember a file that RH uses to manage topics. I think you can delete it and have RH automatically generate it when you open a project. Does anybody know the name of the file?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

There's the CPD file, which is a temporary database with project information. That includes a list of topics. The topic list is stored in the *.fpj files in your project directory. If a topic is missing but all the links are still there, one of the *.fpj files got corrupted.

I have a free script that can rebuild the *.fpj files for whenever this happens: HelpEssentials » Missing Topics Fixer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .cpd file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you downloaded "the file" do you mean just the file that the co-worker changed? Did you also download the updated project or use "get lated version"? Changing the file name for a topic will also update every link that topic was linked to within the project. So if you just downloaded the changed file, the rest of your project on your local PC may be out of date too.

(Side note: I'm not collaborating with anyone on my projects, just a solo RoboHelp monkey here. So far, anyhow. Trying to get the other writer to move from Word to RH, but we don't work on the same product line.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded only the updated topic file from the CMS. Nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me, I think you'd need to get the latest files because any topics that link to the new topic won't link for you. When a name is changed for a file, RoboHelp goes through and renames all of the hyperlinks or references to that file. Does the old topic still exist in your system? I'm thinking it might since you said that you imported the new topic. In my mind, RH on your computer would probably think that is just an additional topic, not one that was renamed because none of the other files were downloaded that were also updated with the name change.  It would kind of like... if you have a printed manual in a binder that is numbered with the chapter number and page number 5-12. Let's say your partner changed the numbering system to be just page number. So now your page 5-12 is page 34 for the partner. They print that page and hand it to you. You stick it in the binder but now the page numbering is all different. After your page 5-11, the next page number to show is 34. (This makes sense in my head but I'm not sure if it does writing it out.)

However, don't do anything until Jeff or someone pipes in.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's the CPD file, which is a temporary database with project information. That includes a list of topics. The topic list is stored in the *.fpj files in your project directory. If a topic is missing but all the links are still there, one of the *.fpj files got corrupted.

I have a free script that can rebuild the *.fpj files for whenever this happens: HelpEssentials » Missing Topics Fixer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I seem to remember the CPD file as being the culprit that last time something like this happened but I couldn't remember the file extension and couldn't find the topic in this forum.

I will give it a try next time I get the same occurrence. Thanks again to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time.

To use your analogy: Yes the numbering would not be correct but I would still be able to see the newly added page.

I realize that links would not point to the new file, but I would expect to be able to see the new file in the Topic List pod and other dialog boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp