I tried generating an existing CHM SSL after about 9 months of inactivity. It didn't work and RH10 gave me the message that HTML Help Compiler is not installed and that I need to go download 1.4.
I already have HTML Help installed but I downloaded it from microsoft anyway and tried to install the latest version (1.3). The installer said I already have a new version installed on my laptop.
So, Windows says I already have HTML Help installed, but RH says the compiler isn't installed. Any ideas?
Update: I uninstalled and then reinstalled HTML Help Workshop. Same error.
HOWEVER, I just opened another RH project and was able to generate that project's CHM output just fine. This makes me wonder if there's an issue with the first project. Again, any thoughts?
Perhaps try closing the project, deleting the CPD and re-opening the project?
You may also want to locate the ProjectName.HHP and rename it to something like ProjectName.HHPB. Then try generating the CHM again.
Thank you for your reply, Rick. I tried both of your suggestions and RoboHelp did attempt to generate the CHM. HOWEVER, at the end of the process it gave me the error "Unexpected Error from Microsoft HTML Compiler".
I've uninstalled/reinstalled HTML Help Workshop multiple times, so I don't know what more I can do on that end. Any suggestions?
In that case, I might suggest trying to open the HTML Help Workshop on its own and try compiling using that. You may find it reports something that would help you solve it.
When I tried compiling the HHP file directly, HTML Help Workshop crashed and gave no warning. I think it's safe to say that there's something corrupted in my project. But deleting the CPD file didn't work, so I'm not sure how to fix it short of recreating my project.
I'd try starting by making a backup copy for Justin.
Delete the HHP file and try again. If it still fails...then delete the CPD and the XPJ. Open the project by pointing at the HHP from the original copy of the file and see if that works.
Sure, the last resort would be to re-create the project. But I like to try the least invasive approach first. Then work up from there.
*Note: Deleting the XPJ is a "last ditch" measure and isn't something to casually do. If anything, I'd just rename it so it's easy to recover in the event other things fail.