Highlighted

RH10: Importing/Renaming File Creates Recursive Bookmarks?

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

I'm trying to rename files in RoboHelp HTML 10. I select the file in the topic list, right click, select Properties, and change the file name on the General tab. After clicking OK, the Output view displays and shows the progress.

However, this seems to create an infinite loop as the rename process somehow creates a bookmark over and over recursively. For example, foo.htm#bar becomes foo.htm#bar#bar, foo.htm#bar#bar#bar, foo.htm#bar#bar#bar, etc., quickly exceeding RoboHelp's limits on file names. The same thing happens when renaming the file external to RoboHelp and importing it.

The project is in version control, and the topic in quesion has snippets and hyperlinks that refer to a bookmark in that snippet (e.g., href="#bar").

Is there any solution to avoid this from happening? Here's a screenshot of the end result of an import.

fileaddrecursion.PNG

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Source control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RH10: Importing/Renaming File Creates Recursive Bookmarks?

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

I'm trying to rename files in RoboHelp HTML 10. I select the file in the topic list, right click, select Properties, and change the file name on the General tab. After clicking OK, the Output view displays and shows the progress.

However, this seems to create an infinite loop as the rename process somehow creates a bookmark over and over recursively. For example, foo.htm#bar becomes foo.htm#bar#bar, foo.htm#bar#bar#bar, foo.htm#bar#bar#bar, etc., quickly exceeding RoboHelp's limits on file names. The same thing happens when renaming the file external to RoboHelp and importing it.

The project is in version control, and the topic in quesion has snippets and hyperlinks that refer to a bookmark in that snippet (e.g., href="#bar").

Is there any solution to avoid this from happening? Here's a screenshot of the end result of an import.

fileaddrecursion.PNG

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Source control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 07, 2014 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen Rh do that or seen any reports. I am inclined to think it is something to do with your source control.

Open one of the sample projects and see what happens there when you perform the same steps. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2014 1
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I tried the import in a sample project, and it worked as expected. I removed the problem project from version control and it worked as expected.

Looks like this is an issue with using SharePoint as a version control platform.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2014 0
Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved the thread to the Source Control category in the hope someone can help you there.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2014 0
Amebr LATEST
Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try checking out the entire project before renaming a topic? I haven't ever used Sharepoint as source control, though, so if might have some strange quirks...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2014 0