• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 online help not working on MS Edge

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with getting the online help to open in Edge. I'm using RH 10. The html help works fine on Firefox, Chrome, and IE, but not on Edge.

I don't have it installed on my machine, but one of the developers at work tried to open it on his machine and it would not open at all. Well, actually it opens to a totally blank page.

The only info I have is what the developer said. He sent me the following info:

During the investigation of issue, it's found our help page %ROOT%\docs\start.htm can't be opened with Microsoft Edge. We can try to right-click on this
file, and select open with MS Edge, it will fail.

And after debugging, I can see this is caused by the following script in that page:

if

(!window.gbWhVer||!window.gbWhUtil||!window.gbWhMsg)
document.location.reload();

When we open this file with MS edge,  I can see object window does exist, but variables like
window.gbWhVer,
window.gbWhUtil, window.gbWhMsg are all showed to be undefined,

this caused document.location.reload() to be called, and it seems that it's kept to be called again and again(like an endless loop), and this caused the opening of start.htm with MS edge failed.

Can anyone provide any insight into why this is not opening at all in Edge?

Thanks,

dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Ok, I generated WebHelp using your project in RH10 and then put both it & the output you sent back up on Dropbox in that dwc folder. Then I downloaded both of them onto a Win10 machine running Edge 25.10586.0.0. They both seem to work fine - other than throwing that initial message about "This site says...Exception: reply for which no request exist" OK. You're welcome to grab the version I just made & try it out - maybe the version of Edge makes some difference or having it on a webserver vs. on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each release of RoboHelp is designed to work with the then current browsers. During the life of a version, Adobe will normally update as required. Your version precedes Edge by a long way so issues are likely.

Take a look at http://www.wvanweelden.eu as Willam has provided a number of fixes. I don't know if this is covered but it's the only place I can think of.

To confirm the issue is your version, download the current version onto a different machine and test with a copy of your project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the fix in the help files (whphost.js), in the template_stock folder.

Then, I put the help files on a different machine. Attempting to open the html files in Edge results in a totally blank page.

I can't upgrade to a newer version of RH (mine is RH10). Not sure what to do next. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm - after you put the fix into the template_stock folder, you recompiled your help, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compiled it again, just to be sure, and it still opens blank in Edge. The little circle of dots goes around on the tab, but other than that it's a blank window. No warnings, error messages, or anything else to go on, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked my WebHelp built with RH10 on a Win10 machine with Edge – it does honk a couple of times about some exception, but clicking ok gets you past that. Shoot me a PM & I can send you my copy of my folder if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm . . . I didn't get any exceptions, so there was nothing to click through.

Pardon my ignorance, but "PM"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Private Message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff.

Appreciate the help.

☺

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it come through ok? If so, I would rename your current folder, unzip mine & then regenerate as a test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it!

I tried first to use just the whphost.js, but that didn't work.

Then I used the entire template_stock folder, and sadly, no change.

Not sure what that would indicate. If the Adobe fix was a proven fix for edge, and using the template_stock folder from you, then would that indicate the trouble is elsewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.. I’d suggest trying one of the sample projects & see how it behaves with my folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried one of the RoboHelp 10's sample sites to see if it would open in Edge, and it did.

So that seems to indicate that there is something in my work project's online help files that isn't right. Maybe?

Not sure how or what that could be, though, or where to even start. What do I do next?

(Incidentally, I can't upgrade to a newer RH version, since we're transitioning the docs to xml, then using different software for the help files.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the project? You could send it to me in my Dropbox location & I could have a look...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just shared it in dropbox. Let me know if you can't find it, since I don't use dropbox that much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I got it - but you've sent me the output, not the RH10 project ;>)

Try zipping up the project (exclude the \!SSL!\ folder)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All done and on Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I generated WebHelp using your project in RH10 and then put both it & the output you sent back up on Dropbox in that dwc folder. Then I downloaded both of them onto a Win10 machine running Edge 25.10586.0.0. They both seem to work fine - other than throwing that initial message about "This site says...Exception: reply for which no request exist" OK. You're welcome to grab the version I just made & try it out - maybe the version of Edge makes some difference or having it on a webserver vs. on a local c:\ drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I tried it out on the remote server I have access to that has edge on it. It still didn't open, so I'll find the edge version and see what else might be going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an observation here.

Given the fact that you aren't upgrading RoboHelp because you are moving to some XML based schema, why all the effort of making the older RoboHelp output work on Edge? Why aren't you expending that energy on getting things in XML format and just biting that bullet now? Seems a huge waste of energy when you will abandon RoboHelp anyway.

Just wondering... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a fair question. It's a matter of time. I've actually been working on the transition to XML for about 9 months now. I'm perhaps 3/5 through it. It takes time, as I'm the only one doing it.  And this is just getting the content transitioned to XML. After that, I'll need to go over it all to add the index, etc., and go over the QA reports with their comments.

The product release is coming up soon and there's no way I can be finished by then. I'm hoping I'll be finished with the transition by the end of the year, after the release date.

During all this, I've also got other releases to finish, so I can't devote all my time to the one project.

Pretty soon, they'll actually be reviewing the docs for content, so then it'll really hit the fan (with all their last minute updates/changes). I'll be going through all those comments, trying to make sense of what they're saying and then locating where they're referring to (they sometimes use different doc iterations from what I've got)!

All in all, the brain cells are sputtering at max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried to open RH 10 in Safari?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t hold your breath on that one – I don’t Safari is even supported with WebHelp produced by RH2015…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not surprised. Thanks for the info, though. I'll relay it to the powers that be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure what happened, but I sent the help files to another person with Edge and Safari to see if the help would open correctly, and it did. I did have the updated files from William and Jeff in the help, so I'm hoping that was the fix and it'll stick.

Thank you for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp