• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH11: Return to Top Link to # Not Working

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my master page footer, I have a hyperlink set up to go to "#". This SHOULD reload the topic and display it from the top. However, it's not working. I'm seeing a "page cannot be displayed" error dialog. Looking at the HTML in the browser, the hyperlink is going to "..\..\#" instead of "#" (which is what I see in the HTML editor in RH). How can I get this link working properly?

The output is WebHelp, and the project is stored in My Documents/My RoboHelp Projects.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Yep, the body area is only used when creating a topic initially and pointing to the Master Page.

I was about to suggest a snippet. You might try that. But my fear is that the snippet may behave the same way and amend the link with what you saw the footer doing.

Certainly worth a try. If it works, configure the snippet once and drop it in as many topics as you like!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Ahhh yes. The good ole hazard of linking from a footer! As you have seen, when the topic is in a folder, the Master Page footer code is being amended to account for the folder structure.

I'm guessing that avoiding the link is really not what you want to hear.

I think the next best thing here is to resort to some JavaScript to perform a "write in" of the code. So essentially, you would create some JavaScript that you would insert into the footer that would construct the link as the page is displayed.

Essentially you will want to examine and copy the HTML source of the link. Then take a look at the page linked below and amend things so the script properly writes in the link for you.

Click here to view the page

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and as an FYI "RoboHelp Ninja" tip, although RoboHelp politely recommends using the My Documents/My RoboHelp Projects location, you would be much better off creating a folder named "Projects" off the root of C. Then create a new folder inside Projects for each of your RoboHelp projects.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. I wish I could create a C: folder, but my rights are quite restricted on this machine. I can see My Documents and my desktop and that's about it. My customers really want the Return to Top link, so I suppose I'll have to look into this JavaScript solution. Could I just put the link in the body of each topic, pasting it over and over? It would be a little tedious, but I can't get anything I put in the body area of a master page to show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the body area is only used when creating a topic initially and pointing to the Master Page.

I was about to suggest a snippet. You might try that. But my fear is that the snippet may behave the same way and amend the link with what you saw the footer doing.

Certainly worth a try. If it works, configure the snippet once and drop it in as many topics as you like!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick. The snippet did what we thought it would, compensating for the folder structure. But it looks like pasting the link at the bottom of each topic works after testing it. You've helped me several times over the years and I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me also add one thing for the whole community. If your customer also requires a printable version of the topic or the entire webhelp (I know, I know, don't get me started), make sure you apply an "online only" conditional build tag to the link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Printed version? What on God's Green Earth is THAT?

Good tip! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp