• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2015 - Responsive HTML5 Layout is not correct in IE

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After generating my project using 'Responsive HTML5', the desktop and tablet layouts work perfectly in Google Chrome and Firefox, however there is a problem with Internet Explorer (I am using IE9). In IE when the content is viewed on the desktop it is always shown with the Phone layout and on occasions the TOC fails to populate when opened. I have also tried the sample projects with the same results.

The image below shows the IE9 layout on the full size desktop:

RH2015-IE9-ResponsiveHTML-1.png

The image below shows what happens when the TOC button is selected.

RH2015-IE9-ResponsiveHTML-2.png

The image below shows the same project using Google Chrome on the same desktop. This is the correct desktop layout.

RH2015-Google-ResponsiveHTML.png

However, when I use RH11 all layouts, including IE, are correct!!

Is there a setting that I am missing somewhere in RH2015, or is there a file from RH11 that I can copy over to RH2015 that might correct the problem?

Thanks,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

I did a quick check: IE9 does not support the JavaScript matchMedia property. This is the property being used by the RoboHelp output to switch the break points for mobile devices. That is the cause of this issue. According to the help, IE9 is still supported for Responsive HTML5 (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/2015/robohtml/#t=book%2Frob_layouts_la%2Frob_layouts_la-11.htm) Either this help is incorrect, or it is a bug.

Please log an issue with Adobe at Home

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick check: IE9 does not support the JavaScript matchMedia property. This is the property being used by the RoboHelp output to switch the break points for mobile devices. That is the cause of this issue. According to the help, IE9 is still supported for Responsive HTML5 (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/2015/robohtml/#t=book%2Frob_layouts_la%2Frob_layouts_la-11.htm) Either this help is incorrect, or it is a bug.

Please log an issue with Adobe at Home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the analysis William.

I will log an issue with Adobe today.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just happened to see this issue in the forum history and this will definitely affect our project since the user help we've written is to be inserted into the web-based interface of my company's software which is compatible with IE8 and above. Thankfully, we still have one machine using the previous version of RoboHelp, but this means we won't be able to employ the new DCF feature in our user help until this issue is resolved by Adobe and that is very disappointing.

Is there a way I can be notified by Adobe when this issue has been resolved, or is there a particular website where I can check the progress of this issue's resolution? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are supporting IE8, you can't use the Responsive HTML5 from RoboHelp 11 either. You need IE9 at minimum. You may want to look to WebHelp.

I don't believe there is a notification available. You will have to keep an eye out for release notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam

To me this sort of begs the following question.

Aside from personal knowledge and experience, where does one obtain such information? Does a handy infographic of some sort exist that assists one in determining what one is able to use without issue on what browsers and versions?

The whole browser and version world seems rife with caveats. One wonders how folks are supposed to cope and know what works where so they can just focus on developing content.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few sites for checking which browsers support what.

This site is good: http://caniuse.com/

The W3 Schools site will also tell you the browser support for individual "things": W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

e.g. CSS3 Borders - Rounded Corners

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information; I was not aware of that. What is the version minimum for the other web browsers as it pertains to the use of Responsive HTML5 layouts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone's information I have received the following response from the bug report that I raised with Adobe:

"Yes you are correct IE9 does not respond to Responsive layout from RH2015.

However i have two solutions for you:

1. If you are viewing it on desktop then you can set the default layout as Desktop which is set to mobile by default.

Steps: open ...\template\<layout_name>\usersettings.js in published output.

add rh.model.publish(rh.consts('KEY_DEFAULT_SCREEN'), 'desktop'); line after line 168 @

rh.model.publish(rh.consts('KEY_FEATURE'), features);

rh.model.publish(rh.consts("KEY_LAYOUT_VERSION"), "2.0");

rh.model.publish(rh.consts('KEY_DEFAULT_SCREEN'), 'desktop');

This will set your default layout as desktop but it will not solve the "being unresponsive" issue.

2. RH 11 layouts are supported in IE9 so you can import the RH11 responsive layout in RH2015 and use it. It will work fine.

We will update our Help soon. Feel free to query in case there is any confusion.

Thanks for highlighting this oblivious mistake in Help file."

I haven't tried these 'work arounds' as yet, but will do so as soon as I get a chance.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gah! I was just telling my boss we should move to RH2015 to use the DUCC in HTML5, but we only just upgraded to IE9. :S

Does anyone know if we use a RH11 layout whether we can plug just the new DUCC feature into it, or if that feature is the reason RH2015 responsive isn't compatible with IE9 any more? (I've also made the assumption that DUCC is only available in Responsive, not Multiscreen...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp