Copy link to clipboard
I'm curious if this is 'By Design' or something I'm doing...? I have a project that is an in depth Administrators guide. I've used Conditional Build Tags to block out most of the Administrator and Support information (server names, API data flow charts etc) to create a Users guide for the app as the GUI and app behavior is covered along with the back end information.
I can publish this project to it's own folder set (Pathed \\server\share\RH_Projects\UserGuide... as opposed to \\server\share\RH_Projects\AdminGuide...) when I publish and set the conditional build and it seems to work well. The TOC is correct and the additional information and topics don't show in the project. However, if I search for an API name or a server name it still pulls up the topics that were tagged to NOT be included in the build. Looking in the UserGuide folders I see the topics that I didn't want in the build are still being moved into the output folder and am wondering if there's a way to exclude those topics from publishing into the UserGuide folders?
Copy link to clipboard
Did you select the flag to not search unreferenced topics in the SSL recipe?
Thanks for getting back to me.
In Output(SSL), Under Content Categories> Content <Default> I have selected the Exclude Unreferenced topics from output as well as baggage files. I don't see an option in search to not search unreferenced topics. I typically change the settings here when I publish as I have to change the path and Conditional Build Expression values to publish the proper content to the proper share.
I have only enabled Highlighting search results, show content in Search Results and show total number of Search Results. I've disabled all baggage file types from search as well.
That was the flag I was thinking of – so if you generate into a new \!SSL!\WebHelp folder, you’re still getting topics present that you told it not to include with a CBT?
Yes. There are a set of Appendices that I've excluded (tagged as ADMINONLY) and those topics are in the UserGuide folder set. They aren't showing up in the TOC, but they are in the output folder.
Sorry, I’m not seeing that effect on one of my projects that uses CBTs – once a topic is marked with it & I generate, it doesn’t make it to the output folder at all. Try testing with one of the sample projects included in RH – if you’re still getting an excluded topic present, log a bug in the RH bugbase.
Cool, will do. I tried deleting the folder set and publishing again and still same thing... I'll use one of the example projects and see if I get the same behavior and if not what they may have set differently...
Thanks for your time and help.
It seems the issue was due to the fact that I've imported a .docx file. One of the topics contains a Revision History, Figure and Table list and it also had a copy of the Doc's TOC. These were the issues. Because the document's TOC and table of figures contained listings for and links to the 'excluded' content, to avoid breaking the links to these topics, they were added to the output files but Did not show up in the TOC. However they would be found in Search as they were in the output folders.
But this didn't fix it 100%... (grrr...)
Upon further inspection (and more hair pulled out) I found that I'd created a MapFile before I set about tagging the conditional build information. Even after deleting the (document's) TOC and the tables noted above, some of the information that was to be excluded was still being put into the output folders and as such was discoverable by search. Once I edited the map file and tagged or deleted the sections linking to the 'unwanted' topics. I was able to get a clean build.
So it's doing what I wanted it to now.
NOTE: I hadn't created an Index or Glossary for this project yet, but I'm sure they would have needed to be scrubbed as well if I'd taken the time to create them.