• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2019 Application crash after Word Import

Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First Word import into RH2019 (same import works fine in RH2017). Kept all the defaults during import and it seemed to complete without error. However, after trying to view the resulting content and/or the index (which surprisingly is empty??) I get the following error in the lower right corner of RH2019:

RH2019crash.PNG

Indeed, after restarting, opening the previously, newly created project and attempting to browse the results of the import similarly fails and results in the above application error again.

So, I guess RH2019 can't import the same Word document that RH2017 had no trouble with . And now the project seems broken enough to crash RH2019.

This, after RH2019 has already seen two updates, does not give me any confidence in this new release (yikes). Unfortunately, I've already paid for the upgrade... Disappointing to say the least.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Few questions, have you update RH to the latest version. if not please go to Help -> Updates and update to latest update 2 of RH2019.

If the problem still persists, is it possible to share the word doc (.docx) - RH 2019 does not import .doc/.rtf - to amisingh@adobe.com for us to look at the issue

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Amitoj, as with my previous response in another thread, it's not possible to share documents from my projects. Similarly, my RH2019 installation is the latest (just installed Monday as v14.0.2).

Is there no log file or other bread crumbs of any sort that RH2019 leaves behind when this sort of crash occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you do a replace of all character to AAAAAAAAAA and just send out the .docx file. This way we have the structure and content sample but not your original copy.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, again I'm sorry, but this won't work as I'd also need to remove various other elements (e.g., dozens of images, etc.). Is there no way for RH to output additional log information to see what it's tripping over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try specifying the default.css instead of whatever you are using.

Appearance will be wrong but it might point to where problem is.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't make a difference.

BTW, I did go ahead and try RH2019 Classic with this same Word file and that import (and HTML5 generation) worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As you can't share the word document, Can you please share what all kind of elements are present in docx. e.g. Images, tables, some different characters, styles etc

Also share any other information you find useful and can help us in troubleshooting this issue.

I will try to reproduce it and then surely we can resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The document I'm importing is a technical manual (~170 pp). The document contains tables, images, links, cross references, bulleted and numbered list, and a few unique styles - but nothing out of the ordinary). Again, the document imports fine in RH2017 and RH2019 Classic. The only other thing here is that this document contains a couple circular index references (as referenced in my previous post to this forum).

Not sure what else I can tell you. Is there no facility in RH to log more information (to a text file/log file) in these exception/crash situations? What about a way to force a [mini] crash dump so someone can introspect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like more information than that popup provides. I constantly get the message, but can't tell what is causing it. I'll be logging a ticket so it's an official request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this same issue when I try to import a word document to Adobe RoboHelp 2019. I tried several times with a 60 page document and a 250 page document. Same result - I get the Application Error. 

RH Appln Error.jpg

When I close the pop-up, in some instances it attempts to import. But I waited for close to 15 mins and still it hasn't imported anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mnair - if trying it again with the latest patch applied doesn't work, as a workaround it sounds like importing it into a Classic project works (and then you can convert that Classic project into a New UI one); or you can send @amitoj a copy of the doc so that the programmers can see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp